cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS compile setting about compile change or compile whole project

kentgu
Contributor III

Hi,

During  the developping FW, I don't want to to compile whole project. Just want to compile change, where the setting about the compile?

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

Kent

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello kent,

I'm not sure if I understand your question. But if you do a build, then the build system only will compile/build the changed files, and not every file in the project.

Additionally, you can select one or more files and then use the context menu with 'Build Selected File(s)' to only build the selected files:

pastedImage_0.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

kentgu
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

Yes, my question is "if you do a build, then the build system only will compile/build the changed files, and not every file in the project.", how to realize the option?

Best regards,

Kent

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kent,

The project does that automatically for you, it is called 'manged make'. Not sure if you are familiar with make files (Make my Make with Eclipse and MCU10 | MCU on Eclipse ). Basically the Eclipse project manager monitors the source files and adds them to the make files. The make files is processed by the make tool which then performs the necessary steps. The make file describes all the dependencies (e.g. which source file is including which header file). This gives the make tool the information to rebuild what has been changed. For example if a header file is newer, then the make knows which source files are using it and compiles those.

If you want to deep dive on that subject: GNU make: How Make Works

I hope helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

mikewilliams
Contributor I

My project compiles all files every time.  It didn't use to do this.  It just started happening all of a sudden.  If I change one file or no files, everything gets rebuilt.  I've restarted KDS but it still does this.

What happened?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mike,

it would be better if you could start a new topic/discussion/question, as this is not the same as this thread.

Anyway, I think you might see this problem:

Eclipse Project ‘Refresh Policy’: Broken Incremental Build with External Make? | MCU on Eclipse

?

That one should (hopefully) help.

Erich

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Kent,

from my understanding. KDS doesn't have exact feature you need,

however user can choose to exclude a file from a project, thus this file is not included for build:

pastedImage_0.png

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos