Good Book

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Book

jberri
Contributor II
I am looking for a book that can show me C for embedded applications specifically for HCS08 or as close as possible.  I am looking for a book that has real world examples, such as waiting for an interupt to happen to execute a function and so on... also that shows the correct standards, so if someone else is looking at my code that is more experienced, can identify with the code structure and style.

Thank you.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

fabio
Contributor IV
Hello jberri,

I am about to publish a book about the HCS08 microcontrollers. The book covers most aspects of designing applications with the HCS08 using the C language.

The title is "HCS08 Unleashed: Designer's guide to the HCS08 microcontrollers". As soon as it is available for purchase, I'll  post  in this forum.

Best regards,
0 Kudos

fabio
Contributor IV
The book is available at Amazon.com.

Best regards,
0 Kudos

RickN
Contributor I
Hi,

I use "C A Reference Manual" by Harbison and Steele Jr as my programming reference for the C programing language.  Looks like the 5th edtion is the latest. 

In additon, you might start with the examples included with CodeWarrior.  Reading other people's code, and being able to modify it, is a good way to learn embedded programming.   Get some hardware for a 9S08 and have some fun with LEDs, serial ports, ADCs, and anything you can wiggle on the EVB. 

There are some rappid application development tools (i.e. Processor Expert) that come with CodeWarrior for MCU v6.x that generate C code for you.  This can be another source of processor/peripheral specific application code for you to work with.  The guys who develop Processor Expert, Unis, have excellent coding structure, format, and comments.   You may have a different style, but their code is worth looking through. 

Don't be afraid to hack, hack, hack, and hack some more, until you get it right.  Read the data sheet, and try to figure out how things work before you jump into coding. 

Have some fun while you are at it!

- Rick

0 Kudos