Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX280 signed HAB boot issues

Jump to solution
jeffmorgan
Contributor I

Hello!

I'm trying to get secure and encrypted boots working with the iMX280.  My current setup consists of loading the bootloader through USB, and then burning it to a NAND chip.  There is no SD card reader on the board.  Using the ltib build system, with linux kernel 2.6.35.3 and u-boot 2009.08.

Currently, I'm following a mix of AN4555 and this post: https://community.freescale.com/thread/317254 .  After updating the .bd files and source files with the patches, and some other minor tweaks, I've got both the ivt_linux and ivt_uboot building, and the ivt_linux build works properly, while the ivt_uboot fails after power/boot prep with "0x8050100c" when trying to do the final jump into u-boot.  However, on a board that I have burned the SRK into, along with burning HAB_CONFIG OTP field to HAB_CLOSED, I get the following error on boot (for both u-boot and linux ivts):

HTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFLC0x8050100f

0x80508002

Which looks like the board is loading everything up until the call to power_prep, and then being unable to find the bootlets, it reverts to the expected 0x80508002 error at not being able to find a boot source.

Before burning the OTP fuses I received no HAB errors, though I'm not sure if this is because it was truly error-free, or if there was a mistake in setting up the error reporting. 

Are these errors popping up due to incorrectly signing the bootlets?  Or maybe a problem with burning the OTP fuses incorrectly (with incorrect values, the process works properly)?  Or is it a matter of mapping the bootlet sections incorrectly in the .bd/linker files?  I have a feeling that's the issue with the u-boot booting at least, but I'm at a loss for the linux boot.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Jeff M.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

According to this post on the U-boot list:

https://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot@lists.denx.de/msg193810.html

version 2.0 should be used instead.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

What version of the CST tool is used in the case ?

Looks like the 2.3 release does not fully support the i.MX28.

Would You please try the release 2.2

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

According to this post on the U-boot list:

https://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot@lists.denx.de/msg193810.html

version 2.0 should be used instead.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos
jeffmorgan
Contributor I

Hi Fabio,

Thank you for recommending v2.0.0 for the code-signing tool.  After switching to it, I still had various issues, but it helped isolate my focus away from the tool, and more towards what I was doing.

For the changes I had to do after swapping the tool:

1) For u-boot, there were a couple of files that we were using that were named separately from the default files, and hence weren't properly patched.  After updating these files, the new CST worked properly, as per Shaojun's directions in the forum post here: Mx28 Secure Boot .

2) For the Linux bootlets, my linker file was improperly modified for the hab section.  After moving the hab section to the proper area, and rebuilding the kernel, my board now properly boots, even with the SRK fuses burned and the secure boot mode set to closed.

Thank you for everything!

-Jeff M.

0 Kudos