Unexplained faults/resets following a peculiar pattern... [KDS on OSX, JLink]

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained faults/resets following a peculiar pattern... [KDS on OSX, JLink]

epicedium
Contributor II

So I've been developing for about a week, and braving some odd behavior...  Initially I assumed it was down to dodgy peripheral settings, but I've now got its repeatability down to a fine art

I'm building a MK20D10 project with GCC on KDS / KSDK1.3 on OSX El Capitan, debugging with a JLink with default settings.  I have created projects from scratch and see very similar behavior, so I don't think it's related to any particular peripheral or KSDK component, but I can't be 100% sure.

SO:-

Every time I make a change to a source file (i.e. a ".c" file), I BUILD, and it compiles successfully... I then hit the DEBUG button (the little bug), it connects to the JLink and fires up the microcontroller.  All looks fine.

But then (i.e. on the first 'debug' after any change to a ".c" file), every single time, I will get this...

121783_121783.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-29 at 20.05.14.png

The location of the fault will vary, and usually goes to the default IRQ.

If I hit DEBUG again, and/or recompile then debug...  I can get no change in behavior.

At this point, I do this trick...

121916_121916.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-29 at 20.06.02.png

I comment (or uncomment) some of  __asm("nop") instructions.  

90% of the time this works and I go to the next step (below)....  but occasionally I need to give it a different number of NOPs.

Then I get this....

121917_121917.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-29 at 20.06.53.png

But that's OK, I know I'm one step away from running.....

I hit STOP, then DEBUG again.....  And it boots perfectly.

At this point I can debug, breakpoint, reset, anything I want...  I can even STOP and start the debug again.  Everything is OK until I change a ".c" file.

What on earth is going on?  Any ideas where to look?

I can work like this, just, but the time it takes to 'make a change' => 'run the app' is frustrating.   I'm literally commenting and un-commenting NOPs with every run, and it works around the problem.

I've tried changing the optimisation level, also I've tried changing some clock settings (CPU speed, oscillator capacitive load, JLink debug speed, etc.) which didn't help.

Any ideas?

Kris

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

epicedium
Contributor II

Additional information...   The JLinkDebugger (osx version) flashes and debugs the ELF files generated with no problems at all!

i.e. the "bad" builds (which stubbornly won't boot without faulting within KDS) work 100% of the time via the JLinkDebugger. 

In the KDS Debug settings I tried pointing it to the new/standalone JLink executable... i.e. Executable:  /Applications/SEGGER/JLink/JLinkGDBServer

No change!  So does this suggest an issue with the JLink implementation inside the KDS/ Eclipse?

0 Kudos

razed11
Contributor V

I'd recommend working the issue more directly rather than adding/removing the NOPs. Even if the NOPs "solved" the problem there would still be something going on that you do not understand and you really shouldn't move forward anyway as it will very likely bite you again.

You did the right thing by finding a repeatable error. Work that error until you understand exactly why it is failing.

It looks like are getting a usage hard fault. The next step is to figure out why. The conditions for a Cortex-M4 can be read about here. When you click on the "signal handler" line of your stack what is it trying to do (I suspect an illegal instruction) then click on the ADC1_init() line of your stack and figure out how it got there. Look for bad pointers and stack overflows.

Once you sort all this out it almost always makes sense why things were acting so strangely.

0 Kudos