Problem trying to access Internal Flash of MPC565

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem trying to access Internal Flash of MPC565

muhammadkaleem
Contributor II

We have been using MPC565MVR56 for the last 10 years (with Code Warrior and Lauterbach Trace32 debugger) and everything worked fine. This time we got a new lot of MPS565MVR56 marked Rev D . In this lot we are facing problem of not being able to program the internal flash. we are using the same software and hardware settings as we used for earlier versions (MPS565MVR56 without Rev D). Upon closer inspection of flash register through the debugger we found out that the censor bits have a value of 0x11(meaning information censor), so its in censored mode by default. Is this normal for a new device with Rev D and secondly if its normal how can we change to uncensored mode. So far we tried the method in reference manual but it seems we cant change the value of Censor. It seems to be dependend on IWS (which should be 1 for us to be able to change censor). How do we know what is the value of IWS in our device , secondly how do we remove censor restriction and program the controller if its possible at all, or did we receive a faulty lot. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
4 Replies

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

since December 2005, we ship only rev D:http://cache.nxp.com/files/shared/doc/pcn/PCN11322.htm?fsrch=1&sr=1&pageNum=1

http://www.nxp.com/files/shared/doc/pcn/PCN11322.htm

Date code 0550 and earlier should be rev C, date code 0551 and later are rev D. So, we ship still the same silicon last ten years without any changes.

You can also check the MASKNUM field in IMMR register to see the revision you have. Take a look at Table 24 in:

http://www.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN2000.pdf

All the shipped devices are provided with erased flash and uncensored.

I did quick research in history and I found similar issue when another customer described the same symptoms. The resolution was that they have disconnected VFLASH supply pin from 5V. I guess that it's not the case but could you double check?

Regards,

Lukas

muhammadkaleem
Contributor II

Dear

Thank u for replying .

As u said all devices are shipped with erased and uncensored. But we are

have devices with censored status.

Is there any possibility to uncensored the device or These devices are used

and locked by someone?

Regards

Kaleem

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 5:21 PM, lukaszadrapa <admin@community.freescale.com

0 Kudos

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

please try to discuss this with your distributor. Brand new devices definitely shouldn't be censored. There's obviously something wrong.

Unfortunately I have very limited possibilities to test the behavior on this old device, so I can only suggest to follow the reference manual to uncensor the microcontroller.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos

muhammadkaleem
Contributor II

Thank you for your response Lucas.

We are pretty sure our devices are Revision D. The problem is that when we try to erase and program the flash on these devices , the erase operation completes but we are unable to program it. we are using Lauterbach Trace 32 debugger for it. Upon inspection we find out that the censor bits have a value of 0x11 which shouldnt be the case for new controllers. I also had a look at the post that you mentioned before posting but unfortunately that is not the case with our devices.we have fully tested pcb boards for the controller and we stuffed almost 10 of these new controllers and all have the same issue. We tried to remove one of the controller and stuffed an old one in its place , and then everything works fine. So i am pretty sure about the VFLASH being correctly supplied. Unless there is a change in the pin detail of REV D devices, which doesnt seem to be the case according to the documentation.

Now since you mentioned all new devices come uncensored , there is a possibility that i received a faulty or already used lot of controllers from my vendor, which is something i ll check with my vendor.

Secondly is there any way for me to convert these devices to uncensored mode , so far my efforts have been fruitless. If there is a way can you please guide me. According to my study it seems to be dependent on IWS bit , i dont know the status of that bit too. So i need some help in this process , if its possible.

Thanks again for you help.

0 Kudos