On the Whitefin board, probe cannot load Integrity kernel onto one of the cores. Any ideas what this could be?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the Whitefin board, probe cannot load Integrity kernel onto one of the cores. Any ideas what this could be?

tom_cheng
Contributor I

I have a Whitefin development board with a PPC 8572 chip on it. I've connected a Green Hills probe to this.  It can connect to both cores of this chip but it is only able to download the Integrity OS kernel to Core 0, not Core 1.  I'm not sure where it is getting stuck.  I don't see any serial output for Core 1.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry, we have no experience with GreenHills here, in Freescale (now - NXP) technical support, so my response will be based on 8572 hardware

From the hardware point of view:

1. One core may be enabled (allowed to fetch instructions), but second core may be disabled.

2. Downloading is performed to memory, but not to core. Memory is one for both cores, so it is not clear what exactly happens when you say "only able to download the Integrity OS kernel to Core 0, not Core 1".

3. The same for serial output - serial controller is not part of core, it is accessible from both cores, so the fact that you do not see serial output from one of cores means this core is not running.

Have a great day,
Alexxander

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

tom_cheng
Contributor I

Thank you very much for your reply.

Question: What could be disabling the second core?  Is there a jumper on the motherboard or some other configuration setup issue that would cause the core to not be enabled?

0 Kudos

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, there are two jumpers on the board - CFG_CPU0_BOOT and CFG_CPU1_BOOT

Please read the value of PORBMSR register after reset, field BCFG should reflect the state of cores.

0 Kudos