Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding IMX6 Multimedia Framework

enriqueencarnac
Contributor II

Hello,

I have the following questions regarding IMX6 capabilities:

1. In the TRM, what is meant by “60 fps in unit test without multimedia framework”?
  2. What is that multimedia framework referred to? Specs I found were a few years old. Cannot see to find anything newer.

Image 1.png

3. From the TRM we know that the iMX6 is capable of doing 1080p60 (max 240Mpixels/s) especially for 1 cycle/pixel mode. That would be 16bit RG565 which is acceptable for us. That’s a 168Mpixels/s. Can the iMX6 indeed support uncompressed RGB565 video 1080p60 in from MIPI to HDMI output? No codec involved. I am asking since we are struggling to achieve that frame rate. We seem to be blocked around ~50fps…

Image 2.jpg

4. I found this link here doing some research that seem to indicate 1080p60 is doable: https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php/Toshiba_TC358743_Linux_driver_for_iMX6

5. I also found this link about using the right Gstreamer plugins to achieve full 60fps https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php/Toshiba_TC358743_Linux_driver_for_iMX6

Last time was the big EIM bus inquiry which ended up being a big letdown for us, now we are seeking a plain confirmation that iMX6 can pass through uncompressed 1080p60 from MIPI IN to HDMI out

In advance, thank you for your help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Enrique

1.2. "without multimedia framework” means not using video player or other high level

application.

3. from i.MX6DQ RM (for performance of MIPI-CSI2 interface):

The maximum bandwidth of the interface is as follows:

• 200Mhz for 4 data lanes configuration (800Mbps/lane, 400MByte/sec)

for your case, as "16bit RG565 which is acceptable for us. That’s a 168Mpixels/s."

seems this is sufficient.

HDMI is able 1080p60, using kernel parameter video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos