kw20z as 6lowpan edge router bridged to linux on app mcu

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kw20z as 6lowpan edge router bridged to linux on app mcu

shawnreuland
Contributor I

Hello, has anyone run the kinetis W SoC's(kw40z,kw20z) with 6lowpan stack as a network processor talking SPI/UART to separate application mcu(such as i.MX or LS1021A) which is running Linux? I want to run the kw20z as edge router and bridge the WSN traffic into linux ethernet(which has a COAP service running). What protocol does the 6lowpan stack on 802.15.4 SoC establish/support over SPI or UART and could it support a SLIP protocol to accomplish that bridging between the two chips, or is the right approach to just install COAP server on the 802.15.4 SoC which would have IP/socket because of the 6lowpan stack and then do my own protocol over SPI to talk with app mcu as needed? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

shawnreuland
Contributor I

I've been looking at freescale wireless connectivity more, and it looks like there is no standalone 6lowpan protocol stack, rather in looking at the KW40Z Connectivity Software 1.0.1, it has 802.15.4-2006(v.5.2.4), but doesn't mention Thread/Zigbee online. Is Thread protocol stack available for KW4xZ family(KW40Z, KW30Z, KW20Z) at this time? This link - Freescale products implementing Thread wireless technology says Thread is natively supported, I'm just curious where the Thread stack is then obtained from? Is the plan that ultimately all the protocol stacks(including thread/zigbee) come within the kinetis sdk?

I need to find more info/example of KW4xZ MCU's running Thread border router, REED, and sleepy end devices, mainly interested to see how would integrate the linux network present on app MCU through Thread border router and the KW20Z MCU on same board over SPI/I2C presumably.

0 Kudos

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Shawn,

Indeed, there is not a standalone 6lowpan stack for the Kinetis devices. As you already found, my advice is that you take a look into Thread which is still under development. however, you can be a beta customer to start testing with your devices. If you are interested, please fill the form in the link http://contact.freescale.com/Thread-Pre-Cert.

Since you are interested in the MKW40Z MCU, I need to clarify that the current release of Thread stack includes only example projects for the following platforms:

* TWR-KW24D512

* USB-KW24D512

* FRDM-KW24D512

* FRDM-K64F with FRDM-CR20A shield

* FRDM-KL46Z with FRDM-CR20A shield

Also, please take a look into the official Thread Networking Protocol​ site.

Best regards,

Earl Ramírez.

0 Kudos