Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

queries related to using Code warrior with power PC platform

arun2
Contributor II

Hi Sir ,

Please help me .

Following are the scenarios with query indicated in red.

1. In the current kernel which we are using, we need to update the kernel configuration "Include CodeWarrior kernel debugging". This needs to be updated under Kernel Hacking as below.

Under 'Kernel hacking' -> "Include CodeWarrior kernel debugging"

We need kernel patch for enabling the same for vanilla Linux kernel version 3.12.19.

1. To create a CodeWarrior project the steps are:

- Start the CodeWarrior IDE from the Windows system.

- Select File > Import. The Import wizard appears.

- From the CodeWarrior container, select "Power Architecture ELF Executable"

- etc.

The option "Power Architecture ELF Executable" is missing, how to enable this?

1. In 5.4.7.6.1 Configuring a Download Kernel Debug Scenario

For a download scenario, CodeWarrior:

- resets the target

- runs the initialization file

- etc.

what is initialization file being refered here?

1. In section (5.4.7.7) Debugging the Kernel Using CodeWarrior to Download the Kernel, Ramdisk, and Device Tree: For the below step
  2. i. Click the File System button and select the target initialization file from this path:

<CWInstallDir>\PA\PA_Support\Initialization_Files\<ProcessorFamily>\<target>_uboot_init_Linux.tcl

Questions:

I) What is this <target>_uboot_init_Linux.tcl? Is it board specific?

II) There is a file in the current installation as below. Can this be used for any custom board? opt/Freescale/CodeWarrior_PA_10.4.0/PA/PA_Support/Initialization_Files/QorIQ_T1/T1042RDB_uboot_init_Linux.tcl

1. 5.4.7.8 Debugging the Kernel Without Running U-Boot:

For step (j)

j) Click the File System button and select the target in itialization file from this path:

<CWInstallDir>\PA\PA_Support\Initialization_Files\QorIQ_P4\

<target>_init_Linux.cfg

Questions:

I) What is this <target>_init_Linux.cfg? this file is not found for the current installation. How to get/implement for our custom board?

II) What is <target> _Linux.mem? I can find some *.mem files as below:

.../PA/PA_Support/Initialization_Files/Memory/P2020DS_Linux.mem

.../PA/PA_Support/Initialization_Files/Memory/P4080DS_Linux.mem

Can this be used for our custom board?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Arun K Soman,

For kernel debug, also please refer to Adrian's doc:

Linux kernel and modules debug using CodeWarrior for ARMv7

Have a great day,
Lunmin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Arun K Soman,

1. Under 'Kernel hacking' -> "Include CodeWarrior kernel debugging"
We need kernel patch for enabling the same for vanilla Linux kernel version 3.12.19.
Please refer to below :
Add Freescale CodeWarrior support for kernel
http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/ppc/sdk/linux.git/commit/?id=6c53cea1d6b8be0d68e10ac1fb7bd1383...
Added CodeWarrior support for 64 bits
http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/ppc/sdk/linux.git/commit/?id=cb06e9191a42ce2506be575410ab9cbdb...

2. To create a CodeWarrior project the steps are:
.The option "Power Architecture ELF Executable" is missing, how to enable this?
What document and what CodeWarrior do you use? In my Targeting_PA_Processors.pdf Rev. 10.5.0, 06/2015, it's "3. Expand the CodeWarrior group and select CodeWarrior Executable Importer." on page 317, and in my CodeWarrior 10.5, it's consistent.

3. In 5.4.7.6.1 Configuring a Download Kernel Debug Scenario
For a download scenario, CodeWarrior:
- resets the target
- runs the initialization file - etc.
what is initialization file being refered here?
Here initialization file should be those contain commands that initialize registers,memory locations, and other components on a target board. Such as those in CW installation foder D:\Freescale\CW_PA_v10.5.0\PA\PA_Support\Initialization_Files

4. In section (5.4.7.7) Debugging the Kernel Using CodeWarrior to Download the Kernel, Ramdisk, and Device Tree: For the below step :smileyinfo:
i. Click the File System button and select the target initialization file from this path:
<CWInstallDir>\PA\PA_Support\Initialization_Files\<ProcessorFamily>\<target>_uboot_init_Linux.tcl
Questions:
I) What is this <target>_uboot_init_Linux.tcl? Is it board specific?
Yes.
II) There is a file in the current installation as below. Can this be used for any custom board? opt/Freescale/CodeWarrior_PA_10.4.0/PA/PA_Support/Initialization_Files/QorIQ_T1/T1042RDB_uboot_init_Linux.tcl
It could be used, but not for any custom board, depends on your board design.You could refer to Targeting_PA_Processors.pdf to implement.

5. 5.4.7.8 Debugging the Kernel Without Running U-Boot:
For step (j)
j) Click the File System button and select the target in itialization file from this path:
<CWInstallDir>\PA\PA_Support\Initialization_Files\QorIQ_P4\
<target>_init_Linux.cfg
Questions:
I) What is this <target>_init_Linux.cfg? this file is not found for the current installation. How to get/implement for our custom board?
Should be .tcl for the latest CodeWarrior version. You could refer to Targeting_PA_Processors.pdf to implement.

II) What is <target> _Linux.mem? I can find some *.mem files as below:
.../PA/PA_Support/Initialization_Files/Memory/P2020DS_Linux.mem
.../PA/PA_Support/Initialization_Files/Memory/P4080DS_Linux.mem
Can this be used for our custom board?
Those are command files containing commands that define the rules the debugger follows when accessing a target board's memory. It could be used, but not for any custom board, depends on your board design.Also please refer to Targeting_PA_Processors.pdf to implement.

Have a great day,
Lunmin

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please refer to the latest Targeting Manual​. Also, please let me know that board and what CW version you are using.

Adrian

0 Kudos