DDR Stress Tester v1.03 fails with 8Gb DDR3 Memory Chip

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDR Stress Tester v1.03 fails with 8Gb DDR3 Memory Chip

richardmilakovi
Contributor I

Recently I received a new revision of our custom hardware that uses the i.MX6 SoC and the following 8Gb DDR3 Memory Chip.  The hardware uses a 16-bit data bus to interface to the DDR3 Memory Chip.

Micron MT41K512M16HA-125:A

Using the "DDR Stress Tester v1.0.3" I successfully ran the DDR calibration on these boards.

However when I run the DDR Stress Test, it fails after running for 2 to 4 hours with the same error each time.

This has happened on 4 different Rev3 Boards, here is the error I see.

loop: ??

DDR Freq: 396 MHz

t0.1: data is addr test

Address of failure: 0x10000000

Data was: 0x00000000

But pattern  should match address

Earlier I ran the "DDR Stress Tester v1.0.3" on older Rev2 Boards with the following 4Gb DDR3 Memory Chip and these tests never failed.

Micron MT41J256M16HA-125:E

I recently enabled the Alternate Memory Test code in U-Boot and started running this memory test on the Rev3 Boards with the 8Gb DDR3 Memory Chip.

I have run the U-Boot Memory Test for up to 50 hours without any errors.  I have never seen an error using the U-Boot Memory Tests.

Can I get the source code for the "DDR Stress Tester v1.0.3", or an explanation of the memory tests, so I can understand this error better.

I have also tried running the "DDR Stress Tester" v2.00, v2.20, and v2.30 but all of these fail both the DDR Calibration and the DDR Stress Test very quickly.

The DDR Calibration fails as follows.  The DDR Stress Test also fails with a not supported error.

Write leveling calibration completed

Starting DQS gating calibration

ERROR: NOT SUPPORTED

I read on some of the other i.MX6 Community Pages that the current build of "DDR Stress Tester" v2.xx do not support a 16-bit data bus for the DDR Memory interface.

If this is true, can I get a build of "DDR Stress Tester v2.30" that will work with a 16-bit data bus interface to the DDR Memory?

Best Regards,

Richard Milakovich

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Richard

t0.1: data is addr test

This test will write address to data and read back to verify in 4 bytes. For example,

in memory address 0x10008000, the data 0x10008000 will be writen into it.

If verification failed, the memory address and the wrong data will be print out.

For "0x10000000" error one can try to tweak drive strength of that signal.

Varying temperature is one method to narrow down the root cause :

If cooling down the part causes more failures, then it is likely the drive strength is

too high causing more overshoots and undershoots. If heating up the part causes

more failures, then the drive strength is too low and the signals may not rise/fall

fast enough.

Unfortunately source code can be obtained only contacting local fae.

Regarding 16-bit version you can follow suggestions given in

activity by Li Chen 07.10.2015 19:58 (in response to David Robinson)

i.MX6/7 DDR Stress Test Tool V2.30

Versions v2.xx modify MR register, so results may be different than in v1.0.3.

Procedure of MR changing is described in above link too.

In general if v1.0.3 works then one can live with it, also good test is running

overnight HD video on board.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos