AnsweredAssumed Answered

Kinetis and Coldfire in a single Processor Expert project

Question asked by SCOTT MILLER on Nov 24, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 by SCOTT MILLER

I'm not convinced this is a great idea, but it seems like it should at least be possible.  I'm trying to create a project for a device that has both a ColdFire version and a new Kinetis version, and I'm trying to stick with Processor Expert whenever I can.  The manual implies that it can be done but I'm having a little trouble.  I'm using CodeWarrior 10.6.

I've got a Kinetis build configuration and a ColdFire configuration.  Each of them builds successfully, but switching presents problems.  The first is peripheral names.  The project has an async serial component, AS1.  On Kinetis it needs to be connected to UART0 and on ColdFire it's SCI1.  The manual says in section 3.2.2.1 that on-chip peripheral names can be changed to avoid this problem.  I don't see how to do that.  TX and RX pins would also have to be assigned new names.

The fix for that, at least for now, was to create a different AS1 component in each build configuration.  That part is working fine.

Now, the main problem is that there doesn't seem to be a way to change the generated code directory for each build configuration.  This is a problem because the Kinetis PDD files get deleted by PE when the CF configuration is built, and they don't get created again when the Kinetis target is built.  If PE is set to not delete unused files, the Kinetis component files cause problems for the CF build.  I can exclude them from that configuration and for the moment it's working, but it does prompt to create and delete some static files whenever the target is changed.

The fact that it's not switching cleanly makes me think that I'm not doing this right, if indeed it's supposed to work at all.  I'm afraid I'm going to cause myself trouble down the line if I don't figure out how to do this properly before I start complicating the project.

The alternative is to create two separate projects, keep the application code separate, and link the files in to both projects.  It certainly seems simpler, but if I can keep it in a single project without writing a bunch of ad hoc build scripts to fix the static files I'd like to do that.

Thanks,

Scott

Outcomes