how to configure the linux kernel

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to configure the linux kernel

lingyunhui
Contributor I

I want to know how to use sdk to configure the linux kernel for my own target board.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ling Yunhui,

Please use the following procedure to modify Kernel source or reconfigure Kernel, and rebuild Kernel image in Linux SDK.

1. Clean Cache.

$bitbake virtual/kernel -c cleansstate

2. Get Kernel source.

$bitbake virtual/kernel -c patch

3. Get default Kernel configuration

$bitbake virtual/kernel -c configure

4. Go to Kernel source code folder

build_<platform>_release/tmp/work/<platform>-fsl-linux-gnuspe/linux-qoriq/3.12-r0/git/.

Modify the Kernel source, such as dts file in arch/powerpc/boot/dts/, or configure Kernel for your target with the command "make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig".

5. Go back to build folder and run

$ bitbake virtual/kernel -c compile

6. Go to step 4 to continue to modify Kernel source and rebuild Kernel image again with the command.

$ bitbake virtual/kernel -c compile -f

(-f option is used to force build action, because Kernel has been built previously).

7. $bitbake virtual/kernel

Get Kernel images in build_<platform>_release/tmp/deploy/images/<platform>/.

Have a great day,
Yiping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

lingyunhui
Contributor I

I want to know this is for rdb board or my customized board?Thank you.

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The procedure is for users to modify demo board Kernel source for their customized boards.

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos

lingyunhui
Contributor I

I change the source code in /git. The original kernel is 3.12, and I change it to 3.10, but when I do menuconfig, the kernel version is still 3.12, I want to know how that happen. Thank you.

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ling Yunhui,

If you use Kernel 3.10, probably SDK 1.8 is not a good choice for you, if you want to use it, please use the following way.

Go to Kernel source folder.

$ cp arch/powerpc/configs/mpc85xx_defconfig  .config

$ make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig

Have a great day,
Yiping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos