periodic timer. Restriction on notification function execution time ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

periodic timer. Restriction on notification function execution time ?

marcrechte
Contributor I

Hello,

I setup a periodic timer whose notification function takes time to process (but less than the timer period).

I wonders whether it is a design fault ?

Thanks

Marc

0 Kudos
2 Replies

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Marc,

The tick service routine is located in the init_bsp.c file, the path of this file is <freescaleMQXpath>\mqx\source\bsp\<board_name>\

The resolution defines, how often MQX RTOS updates time, or how often a tick occurs. The resolution is usually 200 ticks per second = 5 milliseconds. It is defined in <board_name>.h file located at the path: <freescaleMQXpath>\mqx\source\bsp\<board_name>\

The BSP timer is clocked by system tick; it is possible to edit BSP_ALARM_FREQUENCY in order to have smaller ticks.

Please check more information about the MQX timers in the following document.

Using the MQX timers

I hope this helps,

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

marcrechte
Contributor I

Hello Sol,

Thanks for the information and related document.

However my question is on software periodic timer, especially  _timer_start_periodic_every... functions: does the notification_function need to return quickly (like in an ISR) or it is not a problem to do some processing providing it does not exceed the timer period ?

Regards

Marc

0 Kudos