Are the MPXV7007DP sensors compatible with sulfuric acid or generic hydraulic oil?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the MPXV7007DP sensors compatible with sulfuric acid or generic hydraulic oil?

nicholasgomez
Contributor I

My application is to measure the differential pressure between two points in a system of 2 molar sulfuric acid. In the past, we have used gauge guards (filled with hydraulic oil)  to isolate our pressure transducers from the acid. Can the MPXV7007DP be used directly with the acid? If not, is the MPXV7007DP compatible with a generic hydraulic oil?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nicholas Gomez,

About the media compatibility, other media than dry clean air has the potential to dissolve, or be absorbed by the gel and corrupt the die surface or lead to wire-bond breakage. Some types of media will take longer to corrupt the die than others, so a disposable application is possible.

I would like refer you to the application note AN3728: “Media Compatibility for IPS PRT Pressure Sensors” that would be worth to be considered in addition to the provided information.
AN3728: Media Compatibility for IPS PRT Pressure Sensors
http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/app_note/AN3728.pdf

In this application note at page# 3, you can see that we have tested a couple of media, mainly on parts having media resistant gel, but we cannot give a guarantee about the long term reliability of these devices under these conditions and specifically for Fuel Media, the pressure sensor is likely to have issues.

We normally recommend that if a customer wants to use the Freescale sensor with a different media than “Dry Clean Air”, they must validate the product performance in their application and assume all risk and liability.

Have a great day,
Jose Reyes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos