AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is K20 going to be supported?

Question asked by Jan Rychter on Nov 5, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 by Mark Butcher

I realize this is the kind of question that you really do not like to answer — but I will still try. I need to know if there are plans to support the K20 in the near future.

To provide some context, here is my situation right now: I have a number of projects which are space-constrained and price-sensitive (toys). Requirements call for USB and an M4 core, which narrows it down to the K2x line. I have prototypes based on the K20 (MK20DX128VFM5 to be precise).

I've been waiting for KDSK to support the K20, as it would make development much easier. But more than a year has passed, and not much has happened — I only have the base CMSIS peripheral access layer for the K20. In the meantime, K22F appeared, looking great, and seems to be very well supported. But the K22F is unusable, because of packaging. It is only available in LQFP or small-pitch BGA. LQFP packages are huge and simply won't fit, and those .5mm and 0.65mm pitch BGAs drive the PCB cost way too high. So the K22F is not a successor to the K20, it's something different. Also, few K22F chips are available now, and even the FRDM-K22F board isn't available at all in Europe until January or so.

So I am left in limbo — I don't know if I should just develop the code without KSDK, or wait. Going without the SDK is an expensive option. I need multiple peripherals, USB with MSD, FATfs, so it will take a lot of effort, which will be completely wasted once KSDK supports the K20. I'd rather not waste the effort. But then, I can't wait forever.

An ideal answer would be: please just wait for KSDK 1.4.0, which should be out before the end of the year.

A less-than-ideal but still better than nothing answer: the K20 is obsolete and will never be supported. Get used to those huge LQFP packages and the K22F, if you want to use the KSDK.

I would really appreciate some indications of what the plans are regarding the K20.

Outcomes