HC08 Memory Dump / Retrieval to program future MCUs

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HC08 Memory Dump / Retrieval to program future MCUs

mjcoury
Contributor I
Hello all, I have a very interesting problem that maybe you can help me with...

I have inherited a project that is using a CAN boot loader with an application on top of that. Up until the point, I have worked strictly on the application, which is working well enough.

The problem is that any new modules that are built and flashed with the bootloader, do not operate correctly. Turns out, that do to some very bad software management on the previous group, they have lost the original good bootloader, and this new bootloader is not working correctly...

So, is there a way to retrieve the FLASH of a chip and use that image to program subsequent MCUs?

Thanks for all the help
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi mjcoury,

1. Just plug the security bytes in and read it out.
2. Load some special code in with the bootloader that when run reads the bootloader area and outputs it over SCI or similar.

0 Kudos

mjcoury
Contributor I
I think I understand you correctly, there are two different ways to do this... when you say read it out... do you mean with something like SAVE 0xLOCATION_OF_FLASH mem.19

? ??
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi,

Yes I forgot the OR in between the two methods.

For method one, you simply use the "upload module" command over a MON08 connection.

Method two, you write your own code and build your own hardware.

In order to use method one you need to be aware or the vector table to be able to know the security bytes to gain access.

0 Kudos