AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best Approach for a Newbie using middleware: PE or no PE?

Question asked by TOM TALKINGTON on Oct 20, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 by Iva Susnova

I am throwing this out there in the hopes that advice from some seasoned Kinetis developers might save me some time.

Past Experience:

Product development Experienced with IAR EWARM, Micium OS, TCP Stack, file system, NXP LPC 2210 processor.  Decided to move to Kinetis primarily for their ECO system offerings.

Current project:

MK20, I need USB Host MSD, SD Card and of course file system. Board is designed and most hardware has been tested.

I used PE to create code to test my hardware.  Linked the projects from KSD to IAR.  Love it. Very nice tool.

I ran demo code on the TWR-K64F for USB Host MSD, SDCard and MFS.  Demos work great.

Situation:

I need to make a baseline project for my board which will include USB Host MSD and SD Card along with MFS.  My hope was to use PE and that is what I am trying to do. Unfortunately, it appears that none of the example code has an associated PE project (or was built upon a PE project).  When I configure what I can in PE then try to migrate the code from the example project into my own I am finding that the structure of the project is much different and that I am spending lots of time comparing how things get configured in the PE version versus the example non-PE version. the use of conditional compilation which differs in the PE and example projects makes things more confusing.

Am I better off forgetting about PE and simply using the example code for my baseline project?

I am curious to know what others have done.

Outcomes