AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unable to invert polarity of encoder input

Question asked by dave408 on Oct 19, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 by xiangjun.rong

In my previous implementation of QD with FTM1 and FTM2 on my K22F processor, I didn't bother to check for the correct sign on the feedback because I figured I could just invert it or swap the wires.  Well, now I'm back to testing and have found that the sign is incorrect.

On other processors I have used, like the dsPIC, I can just invert the polarity of the input channels.  I've tried this in the following ways:

1. set the FTM_QDCTRL_PHAPOL_MASK and FTM_QDCTRL_PHBPOL_MASK bits in FTMx_QDCTRL
  2. cleared the FTM_QDCTRL_PHAPOL_MASK and FTM_QDCTRL_PHBPOL_MASK bits in FTMx_QDCTRL
  3. set the Invert Polarity setting in Processor Expert
  4. all permutations of the above

In *all* cases, the sign of my encoder value is always the same.  I would have expected one of the combinations to result in a flipped sign.

In the process of debugging this, I realized that I had never checked the "Quadrature decode initialization" checkbox in processor expert:

I interpreted this to mean that even though I have "Quadrature decode configurations" checked, the settings in the configuration list as shown below would *not* take effect:

So I also tried to check "Quadrature decode initialization", but when I did this, the encoder readings I got back had the wrong sign *and* magnitude.

At this point, I'm under the impression that 1) I am missing an undocumented step (perhaps another register needs to be cleared before I can invert polarity, 2) processor expert has a bug, or 3) I should just punt on this and swap the wiring.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem that I'm experiencing?

Outcomes