How to get debugger to trace into, and allow breakpoints to be set, in PowerPC assembler files?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get debugger to trace into, and allow breakpoints to be set, in PowerPC assembler files?

Jump to solution
carlwilliams
Contributor I

Does anyone know how to persuade the PowerPC assembler to generate debug info such that the debugger will trace into, and allow breakpoints to be set, in assembler files?

I've tried various forms of ".type" and ".function" and ".file" directives, to no avail - I always get 'No source available for "(AsmSection)() " ' 

Both compiler and assembler have -sym dwarf-2 -sym full options. Tracing into C files works fine. Disassembly pane works ok.

Cheers,

- Carl

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Carl,

What is the CodeWarrior version you are using?  The latest version is v10.6.5.

Please first install CW10.6.4 which can be downloaded from:

www.freescale.com/cwmcu10

Its update v10.6.5 is also available at the same link.

Further information and the release notes are available on the following Freescale community page:

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-143655

Could you please also attach an example project to help us reproduce the problem? Thank you very much!

Fiona Kuang

Technical Information & Commercial Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
carlwilliams
Contributor I

Further to this, it seems it does work with some files, not with others - the non-working ones do contain modules that are actually linked, these aren't duplicated anywhere else, and as far as I can tell the build options are identical between working and non-working assembler files.

0 Kudos
TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Carl,

What is the CodeWarrior version you are using?  The latest version is v10.6.5.

Please first install CW10.6.4 which can be downloaded from:

www.freescale.com/cwmcu10

Its update v10.6.5 is also available at the same link.

Further information and the release notes are available on the following Freescale community page:

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-143655

Could you please also attach an example project to help us reproduce the problem? Thank you very much!

Fiona Kuang

Technical Information & Commercial Support

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
carlwilliams
Contributor I

Hi Fiona,

We're using CodeWarrior 10.6 - this is dictated by our customer so upgrading isn't an option. I just wondered, really, if there are any known bugs/workarounds, or something I'm likely to be doing wrong - as I said, I have it working fine with some files, but one in particular isn't playing ball and I can't see any obvious difference, either in compiler options or file content, between the working and non-working ones.

I'm not permitted to share the project in question, and I don't have a non-proprietary example project that demonstrates the issue - I realize this leaves you little to go on.

I was hoping someone might say "ah yes, that can happen when...", but if it's not a known issue then I'll live with it and hopefully eventually get to the bottom of it myself - it's not a show-stopper. Perhaps it might be a slightly confused project file or something.

Many thanks,

- Carl

0 Kudos