M54455EVB. MCF54455. Linux BSP. Connecting the M54455EVB to a Host PC.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M54455EVB. MCF54455. Linux BSP. Connecting the M54455EVB to a Host PC.

Claude_Sylvain
Contributor I
Hello,

- I am currently trying to load an image to the M54455EVB using U-Boot
  tftpboot command.
  For now, I can ping the host from the EVB, but tftpboot still not work
  (checksum and timeout error).

- On the M54455EVB side, I use U-Boot V1.2.0.

- On the Host side, I use a PC running Red Hat Linux 9.0.

- I am wondering what is the best configuration to connect the M54455EVB
  to a host computer.
  Actually the M54455EVB is connected to the host computer through a router
  with integrated DHCP server.

- Is this configuration acceptable, or is it better way to connect it, like:

- Connect the EVB directly to the host computer on which a DHCP server
      is running.

- Connect the EVB to the host computer (running DHCP server) through
      a Hub.

Claude Sylvain
Electro-Technica inc.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

simath
Contributor I
You seem to be having an unfortunate set of problems with your board.  I probably would have been pulling my hair out if my EVB gave me this many headaches.

OK, so, I'm assuming you JUST want to get Linux running (flashed) into the board for now...

I have had no issues with various interconnect topologies.  I usually have the PC on a Netgear Gigabit VPN router, connected to a Netgear Gigabit switch (for port expansion), connected to the EVB.  I've got 3 PCs (2 Windows, 1 Fedora8), a NAS, a networked printer, a wireless access point, some other development boards ALL connected.  I figure if anything would cause the EVB problems, my setup would be it!

The main difference is that I use a Windows TFTP program to transfer the image to the EVB (SolarWinds.net TFTP Server - free version).  That works fine with U-Boot.  I've loaded many builds that way (both later programmed to flash, and executing from SDRAM for testing).

Remember U-Boot isn't running DHCP (uses FIXED addresses set in environment variables).  Make sure the network U-Boot environment variables are set correctly (and make sure to SAVE them before you power cycle).  You can probably setup your router to make a STATIC route between your PC and the EVB.  Remember, the Linux PC is probably going to request a DHCP address from the router (unless you set it to a static address too).  So, addresses MIGHT change (and break your static route).  Usually, unless you move cables around, router DHCP tables seem to stay fairly constant though.

I have successfully TFTP connected using Fedora8 (should be very close to your Red Hat kernel), but usually transfer EVB builds from the Linux machine to the XP machine for downloading (since I have CodeWarrior on that machine as well).

If you were getting timeout errors immediately, I'd say your network variables were probably not set correctly.  Since you're getting checksum errors, it sounds like you're connecting but having other issues?  Anyway, check the "gatewayip", "netmask", "ipaddr", and "serverip" addresses to make sure they match your network setup.

Good luck!  Hopefully the board will work for you soon.  Once it's running, it seems to work pretty well.  I routinely xfer files via network to the EVB's hard drive and/or use a USB flash drive.

0 Kudos

Claude_Sylvain
Contributor I
Hello simath,

- Just to say that I finally have been able to flash Linux and file system
  images to the M54455EVB, using a TFTP server on a Windows XP PC; and on the
  target side, U-Boot tftpboot and cp.b commands.

- The EVB is connected to the Host PC through a router.

- Now the EVB is fully fonctionnal  :smileyhappy:

Claude.

0 Kudos

Claude_Sylvain
Contributor I
Hello Simath,

- As you say, (for the begining) I just want to do a simple tftp transfer
  using U-Boot tftpboot command.

- Refering to your answer, it is clear to me that the actual setup I use
  is correct, and there is just some little adjustment to do to get it
  running.

- So, I will carefully check all the setup again.

Thank you again.

Claude.

0 Kudos