cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS1021A-TWR initial board Problem

tommywu
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm using a LS1021A-TWR board. After I have programmed a new uImage in the flash, I met a problem regarding the board initializing, I can't initialize my board in normally.

Normally, after powering up the board: (1) the LED D1 turns ON. (2) the LED D5 turns ON then OFF. (3) and then some log will be printed out on the serial console.

But now, after power-up the board, the LED D5 turns ON, and then it never returns to OFF. And I can't see any log on the serial console. I think I probably did some mistakes when I programmed a new uImage in the flash.

Can you please help me how can I restore the board?

Thank you

Tommy WU

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

jayarajrajappan
Contributor II

Hi,

If something is corrupted in the NOR flash and the LS1021A-TWR board doesn't boot, you can try booting the board from an SD card. I found very good instructions on how to boot the LS1021A-TWR from an SD card at Timesys Getting Started Guide for Freescale LS1021A Tower Module Kit | Timesys Embedded Linux​ .

Once you are able to boot from SD card, you can get into u-boot and re-program RCW and u-boot image on the NOR flash (Bank0 or Bank1). Instructions for programming RCW and u-boot on NOR flash Bank 1 is provided in the SDK documentation (Refer section Software Deployment Guides -> Boards -> TWR-LS1021A -> Programming a New U-boot and RCW). Once you have programmed the RCW and u-boot on NOR flash Bank 1, set your DIP switch (SW2 and SW3) settings appropriately to boot from NOR Bank 1. Getting Started Guide https://www.freescale.com/webapp/Download?colCode=TWR-LS1021AGS&location=null&fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Quick%2... describes the DIP switch settings.

Hope this helps.

-Jayaraj

0 Kudos

tommywu
Contributor I

Hi

In fact, I have tried to boot from SD card, but it didn't work. I can't see any log from the serial console after power-up the board. And the LED D5 always turns ON.

Weijia WU

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Weijia Wu,

I agree with Sinan Akman, most probably you have inappropriate RCW.

To reprograme the flash, also you have another option if you do not have BDI3000 or CodeWarrior TAP:

1. Download and install an evaluation CodeWarrior for LS:

http://www.freescale.com/tools/embedded-software-and-tools/software-development-tools/codewarrior-de...

2. Install CWSIS-DAP driver, this will provides an access to the DAP of ARM through USB, instead of CWTAP.

You can download this driver from:

https://mbed.org/handbook/Windows-serial-configuration

And you need to change SW2[8] = 0 to enable it.

3. There are RCW or flash image for this board from Freescale website:

QorIQ-SDK-v1.8-CORTEXA7-IMAGE-20150619-yocto.iso

Regards

Lunmin

0 Kudos

tommywu
Contributor I

Hi Lunmin,

That is a good option. I have enabled the CMSIS-DAP debug on my board. But I don't know how to flash the RCW image via CMSIS-DAP, I'm new with CodeWarrior. Could you please tell me more detail or provide me some resource of tutorial?

Thank you!

Weijia WU

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Weijia WU,

Sorry for late. Yes, there is document you could refer to:

In Freescale\CW_ARMv7_v10.0.7\ARMv7\Help\PDF\CW_ARMv7_Targeting_Manual.pdf, refer to Chapter 11: Flash Programmer.

And AN5089-Programming RCW and U-Boot on LS1021A-TWR, refer to Section 6 Using CodeWarrior to reprogram U-Boot.

Have a great day,
Lunmin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Also, what is your SW2, SW3 settings. LED D5 being

still on indicates that the SoC could not complete the

POR reset properly. It feels your RCW is perhaps not

correct.

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Wiijia

What images did you program and at which addresses ?

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos

tommywu
Contributor I

Hi Sinan

If I remember correctly, I programmed a kernel image (uImage-ls1021atwr.bin) at the address 0x60300000 (for bank0 Linux Kernel Image) with the default switch SW2: 10001111,  SW3: 01100101 with J19: 2-3 and J20: 2-3.

I know I shouldn’t programme the bank0 flash when I use it. And I thank maybe I make this stupid thing with the bank1 too. So even I switch to the bank1 (SW2: 10001111,  SW3: 01101001 with J19: 1-2 and J20: 1-2), my board appears the same situation.

Is it possible to restore my board? Now I can’t see any thing from the serial console, so I can’t use u-boot to reprogramme the flash.

As you said, if it's my RCW's problem, how can I reprogramme it or correct it? Could you please tell me more?

Thank you

Weijia WU

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Weija

I am surprised that Jayaraj instructions for booting from SD

also did not work for you. I assume you set the switches

correctly for SD boot.

If your RCW in NOR is corrupt and you are not able to boot

from SD then your best approach would be to use a JTAG

debugger. We use BDI3000 here and I am able to boot

this board via JTAG. You might want to pursue this avenue.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos

tommywu
Contributor I

Hi Sinan,

Can I debug my board with CMSIS-DAP, as Lunmin's say? If yes, could you please teach me how to debug it or provide me some resource of tutorial regarding to flash the RCW image to my board?

Thank you

Weijia WU

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Weijia

You should be able to debug via CMSIS-DAP as

Lunmin suggested (it is essentially an on-board

external debugger) but I have no experience using

it on this board. I believe Lunmin would be able

to refer you some Freescale documents on how

to utilize this.