cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom i.MX283 board, odd behaviour when booting SD card under battery power

jannyman
Contributor II

Dear all,

I am bringing up a custom board with a i.MX283 part. I am working with the fsl-community-bsp Yocto with Kernel 2.6.35.3-r45.

My board is intended to boot from a (micro) SD card.  It seems that booting fails with most (but not all) SD cards, if the board is under battery power only. If I connect a wall USB charger to the USB port, the board can boot from all SD cards. Here is the output from Debug UART:

(When Battery connected the following immediately appears:)

HTLFLCMHTLLCL0x8050100b

HTLLCL0x8050100b

(Then a 20 seconds interval)

0x80502008

HTLFLCMHTLLCL0x8050100b

(Again, 20 second interval)

0x80502008

HTLFLCMHTLLCL0x8050100b

We now connect the board to a USB charger, then after some delay to board boots:

0x80502008

HTLFLCMHTLLCLLC

U-Boot 2014.10+fslc+g5fd0b60 (Sep 29 2015 - 13:57:17)

(etc...)

The board appears to boot reliably every time when powered with a USB charger. Also, if there is no battery connected, the board boots immediately after applying power, with all the SD cards I have tested. I happen to have one SD card from which the board boots immediately after applying power, but this seems to be a coincidence. If I transfer the same contents on a different SD card, it wont boot until charger is connected.

I have an I2C EEPROM chip on the board, and I have loaded it with the patch "mx28_polarity_issue_ssp1.sb" and I have set up my board to boot from EEPROM. I have blown the ENABLE_SSP_12MA_DRIVE fuse. However, I am still experiencing the above problems.

Do you have any tips how to solve this problem? I expect the board to boot immediately when battery is connected.

BR,

Jan

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

jannyman
Contributor II

Let me just clarify:

The PSWITCH on my board is has a pull-up to VDDXTAL, so it attempts to boot immediately when it has power.

When the board is under battery power, only one of the tested SD cards succeeds in booting; others fail with error "HTLFLCMHTLLCL0x8050100b".

When a USB charger is connected to the board, the board can boot all SD cards.

When no battery is connected, all SD cards can be booted when a USB charger is connected or the board is connected to a PC with USB cable.

What could be the problem?

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jan

0x8050100b indicates an error in the CRC checking, could it

be from battery insertion, contact ringing, does board boot with

just pressing pswitch (disconnected from VDDXTAL) ?

One can try boot FSL BSP

i.MX28 Linux 2.6.35 Source Code Files and documentation

i.MX28 Evaluation Kit|Freescale

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

jannyman
Contributor II

Hello Igor,

Thanks for your reply. I tested my image on the MX28EVK and a Li-ion battery connected to J86, I get the same error 0x8050100b after I press PSWITCH.

Then I tested one of the sample SD cards that came with the MX28EVK kit, it does actually boot without problems in the same conditions (under battery power)

So I guess I will try to build my image with FSL BSP as you suggested.

Thanks,

Jan

0 Kudos