Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble booting imx6 from SPI Flash

Jump to solution
joerutledge
Contributor III

Hi,

I have a custom iMX6Q board currently booting from MMC. It's an image built from Fido and in Linux user space I have no trouble seeing the flash parts sat on the SPI bus. From inside of u-boot I can probe these devices and can read and write to them. I have taken the u-boot.imx that comes from my Fido image build and programmed it into the flash at offset 0x400, as described in the i.MX Linux Users Guide. The flash probes correctly and reports its product code however reading the data back shows only zeroes. I flashed the efuses in the iMX6 to boot from SPI2 (on the CSI pads) where the flash is currently attached (along with 24bit addressing, as the part is large). I've verified that those pads are not configured for anything other than SPI2. Using an oscilloscope I can see the iMX6 clocking data from the flash at power on, but the device does not boot. I get no output on my serial console.

Is there any way I can investigate what's going on that's causing the iMX6 to fail to boot or the flash to fail to read but still give its part number?

Many Thanks,

Joe

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Most likely, something is wrong in the SPI memory write and/or read command

sequence. You can investigate this by logging the SPI bus activity during memory

write and read (with oscilloscope or SPI data logger) and then checking the

command/data sequence with your SPI memory data sheet.

Have a great day,
Artur

View solution in original post

2 Replies
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Most likely, something is wrong in the SPI memory write and/or read command

sequence. You can investigate this by logging the SPI bus activity during memory

write and read (with oscilloscope or SPI data logger) and then checking the

command/data sequence with your SPI memory data sheet.

Have a great day,
Artur

joerutledge
Contributor III

Yup. Swing on the SPI signals was too low. Thanks!

0 Kudos