Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vProfiler on wandboard-solo and wandboard-quad

Jump to solution
muratbolat
Contributor III

Hello all,

I want to profile OpenGL ES applications on wandboard and want to use the Vivante vProfiler tool, but I was not able to profile it so far.

I downloaded the yocto recipes for wandboard from the page Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform · GitHub​ and built the device image.

I downloaded the Vivante VDK 1.4.6 and copied the vProfiler libraries to /usr/lib/vprofiler directory on the board.

I can run the samples in the /opt/viv_samples/vdk directory successfully (e.g. ./tutorial1_es20 -f 100). When I set the flag VIV_PROFILE (export VIV_PROFILE=1), the application creates an empty vpd file.

When I enable the vProfiler libraries in /usr/lib/vprofiler (export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/vprofiler:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH), the application terminates with the following message:

root@wandboard-solo:/opt/viv_samples/vdk# ./tutorial1_es20 -f 100

mxc_sdc_fb fb.26: 1280x720 h_sync,r,l: 40,110,220  v_sync,l,u: 5,5,20 pixclock=74250000 Hz

Segmentation fault

root@wandboard-quad:/opt/viv_samples/vdk# ./tutorial1_es20 -f 100

mxc_sdc_fb fb.26: 1920x1080 h_sync,r,l: 44,88,148  v_sync,l,u: 5,4,36 pixclock=148500000 Hz

Segmentation fault

I want to know if someone could run vProfiler on wandboard and if yes can he share the procedure in enabling vProfiler. Is the libraries I am using correct, because the size of the original libraries are bigger than the vProfiler libraries from the VDK?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Best regards,

Murat

0 Kudos
1 Solution
muratbolat
Contributor III

The Vivante vProfiler does not work on dizzy branch of the Freescale BSP Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform · GitHub , but works on the fido branch.

I patched the kernel to enable GPU profiling (set gpuProfiler flag to true and set powerManagement flat to false).

I was able to read the generated profiling VPD files with the vAnalyzer 1.5 of the Vivante VTK 1.6.1 which is part of the Freescale package L3.10.53-1.1.0-GA-5.0.11P4.1-FSL-GPU-Tools.zip.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Murat,

You did to mention which GPU driver version are you using neither which kernel version, however please check that environment variable names for the Linux OS were changed from driver releases 4.6.9.p13 and 5.0.7 and toolkit release 1.5. You can check the iMX6 graphic user guide from Yocto Freescale release bsp documentation section 7.6 is about vProfiler and vanalizer.

Regards

0 Kudos
muratbolat
Contributor III

Hello all,

The kernel version is 3.10.17. I think, the driver version is 1.0.2-hfp.

The instructions in the section 7.6 is not up-to-date, because the galcore driver is integrated into the kernel and is not built as a module. I modified the bitbake recipe to build it as module, but it the X server did not start.

Later, I downloaded the Linux kernel used in wandboard and created a patch and applied it to enable the capability of profiling.

$> cat /sys/module/galcore/parameters/gpuProfiler

$> cat /sys/module/galcore/parameters/powerManagement

I can run the samples in the /opt/viv_samples/vdk directory successfully as before (e.g. ./tutorial1_es20 -f 100). When I now set the flag VIV_PROFILE (export VIV_PROFILE=1), the application creates a vpd file with some content like the GPU information and shader source code, but the application is not profiled.

When I enable the vProfiler libraries in /usr/lib/vprofiler (export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/vprofiler:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH), the application terminates with the following message as before:

root@wandboard-solo:/opt/viv_samples/vdk# ./tutorial1_es20 -f 100

mxc_sdc_fb fb.26: 1280x720 h_sync,r,l: 40,110,220  v_sync,l,u: 5,5,20 pixclock=74250000 Hz

Segmentation fault

It seems the vProfiler libraries I downloaded from Freescale website does not work on wandboard.

Can someone provide the correct vProfiler libraries usable on the wandboard (solo) or provide another up-to-date instructions to enable profiling?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards,

Murat

0 Kudos
muratbolat
Contributor III

The Vivante vProfiler does not work on dizzy branch of the Freescale BSP Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform · GitHub , but works on the fido branch.

I patched the kernel to enable GPU profiling (set gpuProfiler flag to true and set powerManagement flat to false).

I was able to read the generated profiling VPD files with the vAnalyzer 1.5 of the Vivante VTK 1.6.1 which is part of the Freescale package L3.10.53-1.1.0-GA-5.0.11P4.1-FSL-GPU-Tools.zip.

0 Kudos