Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSTREAM debug/trace and TWR-VF65GS10

Jump to solution
tomaszsliwinski
Contributor III

Hello,

We need a better debugger/trace capability than the stock CMSIS-DAP that came with TWR-VF65GS10.

Will the DSTREAM unit work with TWR-VF65GS10?  Here’s what we found: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DSTRM-KT-0181A/DSTRM-KT-0181A-ND/2522245

It claims it will work with all ARM processors.

thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution
robertboys
Contributor IV

Hello

ULINKpro is designed for ETM instruction trace Cortex-M (and maybe Cortex-R) processors.  It will not work with Cortex-A ETM or PTM.

A ULINKpro D is a ULINKpro with the ETM trace removed.

Both of these will work with DS-5 in place of a DSTREAM but the ETM trace will not work.

Both will work with Keil MDK for Kinetis boards:  see www.keil.com/appnotes/docs/apnt_249.asp

BUT!

1)  ETB instruction trace (if the processor is so equipped) will work with ULINKpro or ULINKpro D.  ETB is a small on-board RAM used as a trace buffer.

2)  ULINKpro and pro D will operate both cores.

3)  Serial Wire Viewer (SWV) works with any ULINK.  This is mostly on Kinetis Cortex-M and is data trace.

Bob Boys

San Jose, California

View solution in original post

8 Replies
alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

With DSTREAM you are able to debug the Vybrid devices, both cores with trace capabilities.

Best Regards,

Alejandro

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

Does using the DSTREAM debugging hardware require a special license of DS-5? Or will the Vybrid Starter Edition of DS-5 work with it?

0 Kudos
alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

As I see you can use DS-5 Vybrid Edition and DStream with not problems. Please refer to the information below for more details:

DS-5 Freescale Vybrid Edition | ARM DS-5 Development Studio

/Alejandro

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

I just looked and that edition (bundled with the Vybrid tower) that works with the ARM DSTREAM is no longer available.

ARM DSTREAM works with DS-5 Vybrid Edition.

It doesn't work with the DS-5 Vybrid Tower Starter Kit which is what you get when you buy the tower and get the DS-5 development software for free - does NOT work with DSTREAM.

Also, the version of DS-5 (Vybrid Edition) that will work with ARM DSTREAM is an extra-cost item. It seems that DS-5 Vybrid Edition costs maybe $3,000. I can't find a definitive price anywhere. So, getting the DSTREAM-enabled DS-5 and the DSTREAM hardware will cost $6,500 or more.

0 Kudos
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

Hi Jack,

Shame on arm.com you can't find the price of DS-5 Vybrid edition. It also took me a lot of time to figure available options. You either buy 1year node locked Vybrid edition for >1k$, or buy professional or higher editions

Compilers / IDE Product List | Newark element14

tomaszsliwinski
Contributor III

Hi All,

So how about ULinkPro debuggers?

DS-5 / Debug / ULINKpro family | ARM DS-5 Development Studio

Anyone knows if they will work with DS-5 Vybrid Tower System Starter Kit ?

ARM representative said no... but in DS-5 Vybrid Tower System Starter Kit there are options to connect to: ULINKpro & ULINKpro D

0 Kudos
robertboys
Contributor IV

Hello

ULINKpro is designed for ETM instruction trace Cortex-M (and maybe Cortex-R) processors.  It will not work with Cortex-A ETM or PTM.

A ULINKpro D is a ULINKpro with the ETM trace removed.

Both of these will work with DS-5 in place of a DSTREAM but the ETM trace will not work.

Both will work with Keil MDK for Kinetis boards:  see www.keil.com/appnotes/docs/apnt_249.asp

BUT!

1)  ETB instruction trace (if the processor is so equipped) will work with ULINKpro or ULINKpro D.  ETB is a small on-board RAM used as a trace buffer.

2)  ULINKpro and pro D will operate both cores.

3)  Serial Wire Viewer (SWV) works with any ULINK.  This is mostly on Kinetis Cortex-M and is data trace.

Bob Boys

San Jose, California

tomaszsliwinski
Contributor III

Great, thanks Bob.

0 Kudos