MQX vs KDS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MQX vs KDS

yb
Contributor IV

I'm asking myself deep questions about KDS ...

After working on MQX (3.6, 3.7, 3.8 , 4.1 and 4.2), having found many bugs, I have to run on a new project, with a new target (K22FN512), but MQX is now dropped in favor of KDS ...
All those years of work are lost ?

This week, I tried to create a new project on the FRDMK22 with an SD card and keeping MQX : no source code provides for using the SD and SPI MQX mode (only in ESDHC mode, but not available on the device package LQFP64 ... ) .
I spent the night trying to run with MQX 4.2 K22F512, but seems not possible ( mainly to download the executable with the pod).

In conclusion, the use of KDS is very restrictive and for me, is just unusable professionally...

Is FREESCALE think back on MQX or do I find another manufacturer after 20 years of use MOTOROLA - FREESCALE ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

PO220
Contributor IV

HI

Why so many hack ? There is no way. There is no possible success. We are not Freescale  engineers but embedded systems programmers.

Simply create a project, simply program and debug, Simply use MQX (the same with improvements, not a new version with a new syntax, new bugs, new lost of time) is not it basic ?

KDS ok but

-not necessarily with PE

-with improvements but not revolution

-and above all ... that works without hack !

Is there a strategic policy that you can explain to understand present and future ?

What time période for KDS at least as terminate as codewarroir ?

maybe KDS is a transition before any other solution ? As a "Vista" form for CodeWarrior or before  NXP/Freescale solution ?

It is not a shame to change but we need to effectively work.

thank you in advance for your solutions.

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Yvan,

I assumed you are using codewarrior, is this correct?

Codewarrior supports the FRDMK64F, you can use the BSP for this board as clone based for the K22N512.

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

yb
Contributor IV

Hi Sol,

So, I spend a day to clone + addapt the librairies and I've just created a small hello world project, compiled it and ... tried to dowload it to the target (my custom board or the FRDMK22).

It's just not possible because there is no choice to select a K22FN120 in the "Target type" control :

pastedImage_0.png

I tried with different target (K22FX512M12, K22FN1M0M12), but no ways...

Tool : Pod PeMicro Multilink Universal or FX, SWD mode.

I don't understant why FREESCALE had stopped MQX for KDS which is not a professional tools for me...

Please, help me to find a solution, I tried KDS with PE, without PE, but it's not for me. I need to use MQX with new Kinetis CPU (K22 or newer).

If you have a real solution to make clones for new CPU and after can program / debug boards, I will be very happy...otherwise I would find my happiness elsewhere, after more than 20 years with MOTOROLA / FREESCALE...

Yvan

0 Kudos

yb
Contributor IV

Add :

- Download executable in RAM is OK

- I think there is  a problem with type of FLASH : K22FN512 seems to be FTFA (not FTFE).

How create and add a new target type in the HW target ?

Yvan

0 Kudos

yb
Contributor IV

Found how to program K22FN512 even if CW is not done for it ;-)

1. Pemicro site : P&E Microcomputer Systems to dowload algo files

2. Extract the one you want to use (ex : freescale_k22fn512m12_1x32x128k_pflash.arp for my case)

3. Debug configuration => Target settings edit => Advanced programming options => Use alternative algorithm and select the wanted file.