Sabre Platform Kit Question

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabre Platform Kit Question

steveanderson
Contributor II

Hi folks, normally when I have a technical question that does not get answered here, I e-mail Freescale support and get a prompt and correct answer which - if nothing else - leads me in the right direction.  Now I am taking it in the opposite direction because I have run into what seems to be an unbreakable language barrier and all I want is a simple answer for this question they cannot seem to understand:

I am trying to determine if I can make use of the Sabre Platform (SABRE for Smart Devices Reference Design|Freescale) in a project.

The product photo (http://cache.freescale.com/files/graphic/block_diagram/RDIMX6SABREPLAT_BD.jpg) shows what seems to be some sort of structural back plate, which the product description seems to call an enclosure.

In the Quick Start Guide (http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/quick_start_guide/SABRESDP_IMX6_QSG.pdf?fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Us...) they again show that top view of the assembled kit, then they show the SDP board on its own, top and bottom.  All this is good...

What I cannot see and want to know is:  On the back side of this assembly, is it easy to use the connectors J504 and J508 to add another board under the assembled unit?

For whatever reason, the manuals and documents I can find for this kit never show the back of the assembled unit, nor a drawing of the "enclosure" or back plate or whatever you want to call it.

All I need to know is - is it designed to allow access to those connectors in the assembled unit, or would I need to modify it by hogging out some holes to reach those connectors?

I know that the fellow at support, Weidong, has tried very hard to answer this, even taking pictures himself of the SDP board (stand-alone) to show it has the connectors J504 and J508.

Those pictures only show what is already in the quick start guide and just don't help me - though they were done with the greatest of intentions - but keeps missing the target.

He has responded to each e-mail where I re-stated the question as clearly as I could but somehow has avoided talking about the SDP assembly even once, focusing only on the stand-alone board.

So, could someone who may have purchased this assembly please answer these questions - or even post an image of the back of the assembly - or a mechanical drawing of the back-plate to help me determine if I can make use of this in some way or if I have to have something built as part of the work in this project.

Thanks in advance.  I just don't understand how this seems to be such a confusing question.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Steve,

The SABRE Platform is actually a composition of the SABRE board, plus a 10.1” touch screen plus speakers, assembled on a black plastic plate. If you need to connect additional things on the connectors that you mentioned, you may de-assembly the platform kit, in order to have access to the ports on the back side, as the black plastic plate doesn’t have any hole or access window to the back side of the SABRE board.

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Steve, I am sure you will get some help here from FSL but if nothing works

send me an e-mail, I think I have an SD Platform board and you can give me a call

and we can go over what you need.

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos