Static Testing Tools for MQX and C

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static Testing Tools for MQX and C

paulbuckley
Contributor II

I have been asked by a client to provide static testing for a 4K LOC application written entirely in C for the MQX OS.  Code Warrior 6.3 was used as the development platform and unfortunately, this is old enough to be (typically) unsupported by the static testing tools that I've researched (including Coverity).  Does anyone have any insights into tools that would be compatible with this? I can use the underlying Code Warrior command line compiler to compile and build (so Code Warrior itself isn't required) but don't have a clue over

Labels (1)
9 Replies

Yunsong
Contributor I

I am using CodeWarrior Development Studio, CodeWarrior for MCU version 10.2. How can I do static code analysis on it? It doesn't look like it has a static code analysis plug-in or tool installed.

0 Kudos

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

Could you tell us which MCU and MQX version are you using?

Best Regards,

Carlos Mendoza

Technical Support Engineer

0 Kudos

paulbuckley
Contributor II

Hello!

The processor is the MCF51MM. We are using MQX version 3.6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul Buckley

0 Kudos

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

The PC-lint static analysis tool is compatible with CodeWarrior Professional suite which includes the license file for the PC-Lint CodeWarrior plug-in, you can find more information about PC-Lint Software from Gimpel:

Gimpel Software PC-lint Overview

You can use the following document as reference to add a PC-lint build target to your project:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/app_note/TN244.pdf

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Carlos Mendoza

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Carlos,

Are there any trial Versions of PC-Lint ? or Is it mandate that I should get a License for it to use it?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There are no trial versions of PC-lint afaik. There are other/similar tools available.

E.g. Eclipse has one built in (see Free Static Code Analysis with Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse ) or you could use CppCheck (Open Source Static Code Analysis: Cppcheck with Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse ). There might be others too.

Erich

0 Kudos

paulbuckley
Contributor II

Carlos,

Thank you for this information. I am concerned that the CodeWarrior version that was used during development – Version 6.3 – may not be compatible with PC-lint as this version is several years old. Do you have any idea how far back compatibility will go between CodeWarrior and PC-lint?

I sent this question to the Gimpel discussion forum as well.

Best Regards and thanks again,

Paul

0 Kudos

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

As you can see on the CodeWarrior Suites Quick Reference Guide, CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers (Classic IDE) - RS08/HC(S)08, ColdFire V1 v6.3 Professional suite comes with support for the PC-lint plug-in:

pastedImage_0.png

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Carlos Mendoza

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Carlos,

I am using CodeWarrior 10.6.4.  How to find out that whether I am using  a standard or professional suite?

0 Kudos