FRDM-KL46Z doesn't connect using the SWD(J11)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KL46Z doesn't connect using the SWD(J11)

neilporven
Senior Contributor I

Hi everyone,

I just got my FRDM-KL46Z development board and the pre-programmed functions run on the board.  After

looking at it and playing with the default functions, I decided its time to make something happen.  So, I have

a P&E Multilink (C) and also (B) versions, which I will use to program/configure the eval board.  It is recommended

that J18 is trace between 1&2 is cut to free the OpenSDA from the KL46Z, which I did.

I followed a project that came with the KSDK for the peripheral driver SLCD, I connected the P&E Multilink (C) to the

eval board SWD connector and tried to configure the project.  I got an error message (P&E Connection Assitant) "An

error occurred while connecting to the interface hardware or target specified in the Launch Configuation Dialog.

The USB Multilink - USB Port was showing, also on the drop down box, there was information showing the Multilink

that I am using.

I thought maybe the cut I made was still making contact, so I ohmed it out and that doesn't seem to be the issue.  I also

made sure that PIN 1 had 3.3V, it had 3.25V which for all intends and purpose should work.  I also made sure tha

SWD_DIO_TGTMCU was connected to PIN 37 on the KL46Z, which checked out good.

So, I thought maybe is the project I am following, so I made a test project where I choose to do just the processor, without

the KSDK or PE support.  I got the same result, same message appeared.

Am I supposed to cut another trace or something else?  I know that for the FRDM-K64, I had to remove some resistors next

to the SWD connector, but I don't think this one has that issue?

Thanks,

Neil

Labels (1)
7 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Neil,

you can debug it with the default jumper settings:

pastedImage_0.png

Powering the board should work with either USB port, but that depends on the debug firmware sometimes. Best if you use the KL46Z one so the K20 OpenSDA device is not powered.

I hope this helps,

Erich

neilporven
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

What do you mean by: " you can debug it with the default jumper settings:"?   Does this mean you didn't cut the trace on the bottom of the board J18?

By the way, thanks for the picture, it looks exactly like what I am trying to do.

Thank you,

Neil

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Neil,

>>What do you mean by: " you can debug it with the default jumper settings:"?   Does this mean you didn't cut the trace on the bottom of the board J18?

By default, there is a trace under J18. And on the picture of my board that trace is still intact. That trace only needs to be cut if you want to use the FRDM-KL46Z board to debug *another* board.

For example see Using the Freescale Freedom (FRDM-KL43Z) to Debug other Boards | MCU on Eclipse

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

neilporven
Senior Contributor I

Hello Erich & Jorge,

I went ahead and solder a connector on J18 and place a jumber, then I powered the board as

recommended by Erich and it worked!!!!   Excellent........

Now, what is troubling is that the schematic and User Guide are both saying cut the runner?????

Apparently someone didn't test this at Freescale and changed/upgraded documentation.

Regardless, thank you both for your help.

Neil

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Neil:

Good to know it worked!!

About documentation, just to clarify, this is what I found in the guide:

pastedImage_5.png

Using J11 to connect to an off-board MCU means using the OpenSDA for an external custom board or even other Freedom board, just like Erich himself has instructed in some of his tutorials:

Using FRDM-K64F Board to debug another Kinetis Board | MCU on Eclipse

Using the Freescale Freedom (FRDM-KL43Z) to Debug other Boards | MCU on Eclipse

Using the Freedom Board as SWD Programmer | MCU on Eclipse

You are doing the opposite, using J11 to connect to the on-board KL46 with an external tool (USB Multilink).

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

neilporven
Senior Contributor I

I miss-read/miss-understood it, I understood the opposite and did the opposite.  That is why careful reading is important......

Thank you both, I was able to get a sample project going, once I placed a 2-pin Berg connector and a jumper.

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Neil Porven:

The jumper J18 must actually be placed, otherwise the SWD_CLK signal will not reach the KL46. That jumper should only be removed if you intend to use the on-board OpenSDA to program an external processor.

Please solder a jumper or shunt resistor and let us know if that works.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos