Problem with detection of COM port using USB to serial converter, using MON08 Interface CW 6

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with detection of COM port using USB to serial converter, using MON08 Interface CW 6

erooll
Contributor II
Hi.
I have installed  CW 6, usually when I  use  HC08  microcontrollers, I use PROG08 software to program this devices, but a want to use directly the MON08 of CW instead switch to other software, my Laptop don't have serial port , the I use a USB-serial converter.
The problem is that in the window of P&E Connection Manager, in the combo box of Communication Port, not appear my usb-serial port atached, but whit PROG08 I don't have problem to use it.
Anybody can help me.
Tanks.

attach image.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

erooll
Contributor II
Hi Klined.
Thanks for your help, you have reason, I set manually the number of COM port to 1 for my USB serial converter, and now it works, also I have connected a second converter, but the only way to CW recognize other ports its that these are set in order.
Surely this is a bug in software.
0 Kudos

celsoken
Contributor V
Dear Erool,

Coul you please tell me wich USB2serial you are using?
Thanks in advance,

Celso
0 Kudos

Klined
Contributor I
I have experienced this same problem on my laptop.  CW wants COM ports on your system to start @ COM1 and increase sequentially, with no gaps.  When it encounters a gap, that seems to be where it stops looking for COM ports.  So if you do not have a COM1, you will have no entries in your COM port combo box.  Your USB-serial converter was likely installed on COM3/4, etc. and CW will not see it.  Try changing it to COM1, and give it a go then.  That is exactly what I had to do to get my USB-serial adapters to work.  I never did like that COM port detection scheme....

0 Kudos

celsoken
Contributor V
Deer Erool,

Your real problem is that CW MON08 protocol handler does not work with USB-serial converter. Check at this forum and you will find many references.

Your current options (at least that I know) are:
- Use Multilink tool from P&E
- Use a PCMCIA serial converter, some do work
- Ude NOICE

Good luck,

Celso

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Are you sure you don't still have the other program running and connected to that com port?
This would cause what you are seeing.

Message Edited by JimDon on 2008-01-19 02:45 PM
0 Kudos