cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSDA on K22F bricked

imq009
Contributor I

Quite a problem.

It appears I bricked the bootloader on one of my K22F boards.

How do I recover it? I tried flashing OpenSDA with an external CMSIS-DAP adapter using OpenOCD.

Even though it said it had successfully managed to write the data the bootloader isn't working.

Could someone please give me a hint or two as of what to do in this situation?

Thank you

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

See Recovering the FRDM-K64F Bootloader, or: Cloning the Program of a Microcontroller | MCU on Eclipse . Keep in mind that the FRDM-K64F and the FRDM-K22F are using bootloaders with different base address.

You can get the files as well here: OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter|NXP

Erich

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Slawomir Blauciak:

I suppose you have a FRDM-K22F.

Try holding down the reset button (SW1) and then connect the USB cable to J5 (micro-USB). Can you see the board enumerated as BOOTLOADER in your PC?

If you can see it then the bootloader must be working. Try loading either the attached P&E or Segger J-Link binary to the BOOTLOADER volume:

P&E: DEBUG-FRDM-K22F_Pemicro_v108b_for_OpenSDA_v2.1.bin

Segger: ​JLink_OpenSDA_V2_1.bin

In case you cannot see the BOOTLOADER volume enumerated, then you are correct that the firmware in the K20DX128 should be corrupted. For that case you need an external programmer (e.g. P&E Universal Multilink or Segger J-Link) to program the on-board K20 with the bootloader firmware attached (called 0221_k20dx128_k22f_0x8000.bin).

I hope this helps.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

cwpaynter
Contributor III

I seem to have the same problem with my FRDM-K22F - I do have a P&E Multilink and am using Kinetis Design Studio, and the "Flash from File" function doesn't seem to support .bin files?  When I try, I get the following errors:

Error in final launch sequence

Failed to execute MI command:

symbol-file "E:\\chris\\tools\\debug binary for frdm-k22f - 0221_k20dx128_k22f_0x8000.bin"

Error message from debugger back end:

`E:\chris\tools\debug binary for frdm-k22f - 0221_k20dx128_k22f_0x8000.bin': can't read symbols: File format not recognized.

`E:\chris\tools\debug binary for frdm-k22f - 0221_k20dx128_k22f_0x8000.bin': can't read symbols: File format not recognized.

Jorge, are you aware of a way to use KDS to flash .bin files?

cheers, Chris Paynter

0 Kudos

cwpaynter
Contributor III

I was eventually able to get my FRDM-K22F working again via the following:

- dug out old IAR / Segger J-link from a past life

- used JLink Commander (command line tool) to dump the K20 contents from another working FRDM-K22F board

- write those contents into the K20 on the bricked unit

Interestingly, I was not able to ever get the P&E debugger to work with the K20, though the JLink had no problem.  I also tried programming just the "frdm-k22f - 0221_k20dx128_k22f_0x8000.bin" file into the K20, and that didn't work either.  Doing a file compare on the dump from the working FRDM board and the frdm-k22f - 0221_k20dx128_k22f_0x8000.bin file shows quite a few differences.

0 Kudos

kgouveia
Contributor II

Hi Chris Paynter,

Would you share your dump .bin file? I have only one K22F bricked and I can't to dump the k20 memory.

Thanks,

Kleber.

0 Kudos