Has anyone bump into similar issue like us? We playback 1080p video and the display output is set to Dual Channel LVDS, same issue is happening if we set our output to Single HDMI out.
We were upgrading our Android from 4.4 to 5.0. Somehow, our test shows that the system has a chance to hang during long duration 1080p video playback.There is no significant debug message printed. We cross check the issue using Saber SDP (i.MX6Q) with Freescal current Android 5.0 image, the issue is not as frequent, but it will occur. When it occurs on Saber SDP, the system reboot instead of freezing.
The incident is not that significant. We only found out the issue in 1080p long hour video looping playback. We are able to accelerate the occurrence by introducing more interaction such as adjusting volume and backlight, we can reproduce as fast as 15min on our board. Sometimes it even won't happen if you let the system quietly play for a day.
We cross check the hardware and Android version.
- Android 4.4.2 with same video on various platform playback successfully without problem
- Issue was not seen in Android 5.0.2 with Dual Lite SoC
- Issue was not seen with 720p video nor SW decoding
- Thermal issue rule out as solution such as heat sink and fan was applied and there is no console message stating thermal warning
- The issue will occur regardless of Freescale Extended Multimedia Feature Package integration.
- Issue still occur even turning off Nu Player
From our cross checking above, we narrowed down the anomaly configuration to i.MX6Q 1080p video HW decode and playback in Android 5.0.2.
We suspect that it is related to GPU, VPU and graphic processing of i.MX6Q on Android 5.0.2.