Serial Monitor, GNU and Codewarrior - MC9S12C32

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Monitor, GNU and Codewarrior - MC9S12C32

deaninkc
Contributor I
I've been developing on HCS12's using GNU and NOICE with a P&E BDM connector and life was good. I'm attemping to interface a SD card and found a program example that uses Codewarrior. I was thinking about looking into Codewarrior since it supports xGate. I loaded the sample program into Codewarrior and burnt it into my C32 processor and played with it a bit, big mistake. I found Codewarrior much more complicated harder to use then GNU and now I can't get  my old GNU S19 files to run after loading with NOICE. I'm sure it has to to with the reset vector and Corewarrior wiping out the serial monitor. I've been looking for an "S" file for the serial monitor so I can attempt to get things back to the way they were, but I have had no luck finding it. Does anyone have a link to the serial monitor files. Is there anyway to make GNU and Codewarrior co-exist in a development environment without jumping through too many hoops. I'm sure I can figure it out but I figured some else has gone through this exersize.

Added p/n to subject.

Message Edited by NLFSJ on 2008-01-07 10:39 AM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
First of all if you have a P&E BDM, why do you need Serial Monitor?

What you say does not make sense, as if  you have a P&E BDM, there is no need for Serial Monitor.
It's possible you might have secured the device. NOICE can not unsecure the device, but if you have a P&E BDM you can download a utility from P&E to unsecure.

If you loaded the project using the P&E BDM target (and not the SerMon target) then for sure SerMon is gone, but like I said why do you need SerMon?

You should probably consider taking the time to learn CW, as once you learn it, it is very nice.
Also, many of the beast samples are for CW.
Did you know that NOICE works just fine with CW?
It will load the .abs file.
If you really want SerMon back, what kind of board do you have?

Usually the OEM prepares a version of SerMon for their board, and you should be able to download it and burn it back with NOICE or CW. Freescale only provided a CW project to build it.
0 Kudos

deaninkc
Contributor I
Most of the developement I've done so far was with an Axiom D256 board and AX-IDE The board Im trying to use is a M68MOD912C32 that was made by Technological Arts and is the same as the Nano12 that they sell. After I used CW, Noice would no longer load to it. It looks like it is loading but there is crap in regular flash and the reset vector points to protected memory where the serial monitor usually starts. I'd just like to get back to where I was. I'll figure it out, I'm sure it has something to do with protected memory the reset vectors and all that. I just need to do a bit more research and poke around in memory a bit. I have not heard back from NOICE yet as to why the programs don't load. As for CW I can't rationalize the money for the full version at this point . Some of the samples even reach the 32 file limit although the 32k limit is not a problem yet. I don't want to run into a brick wall at some point in the future. I find CW also makes things a lot more complicated than they need to be. I'm sure its great for someone that wants to be able to port to several different configurations and the Processor Expert and "Beans" are probably great but I have a nice set of libraries for GNU along with better examples than I could find for CW. I just thought someone might have gone through a simlar exercise and could save me a bit of time and frustration.

Dean

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Well, like I said, get the P&E unsecure utility and see if it is secured.

It's free and it's worth a shot.

That's probably what NOICE will say to do. I've actually run a similar problem by them.

Technological Arts should have a download for SerMon, and you should be able to reload SerMon with NOICE.

0 Kudos