CW6.1 Debug with Absolute Assembly?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW6.1 Debug with Absolute Assembly?

georgeM
Contributor I
I have some HCS08 assembly sources files, main and includes. I can assemble by launching ahc08.exe and opening my main.asm file.I have set the options to HS08 and generate Compatible ELF/DWARF 2.0 absolute file. The assembler produces main.sx, main.lst, main.abs, main.dbg files.

I run the hiwave.exe and load my main.abs. It loads the target and I can run and single step but no Source and no labels. It seems like I need some kind of map file but I don't see how to get the assembler to produce one when running in absolute mode. I can load main.dbg into the source window but it has no addresses.

Is it possible to get symbols in the debugger with absolute assembly?
What am I missing?
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
You setup is supposed to working as far as I see. There is no reason to use the "compatible" version of the absolute assembly mode, just use the normal one, although I would expect both to work.
Basically with ELF/DWARF all debug information is inside the elf file (with the extension .abs), so there is no need to have or load an map file in addition.
Hmm:
>I can load main.dbg into the source window but it has no addresses.

ok, then addresses are not displayed in the sources, they are displayed in the assembly window separately.
HIWAVE is not using an mixed assembly/source view, it displays the disassembly (with the addresses) and the source window just as "plain"  source view separately.
Basically the "main.dbg" is the source, as far as hiwave is concerned. The assembler creates that file in order to see the expanded macros, and then the assembler refers to that file in its debug information.

Daniel
0 Kudos