AnsweredAssumed Answered

Standard process in RTCS for unique MAC?

Question asked by Brian Willoughby on Aug 13, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 14, 2015 by Radek Sestak

When shipping a commercial product, every unit needs a unique MAC address. I'm looking at the RTCS examples, and everything seems to hard-code the address. What do people do when it comes time to ship a commercial product? Are there any standard methods for storing the MAC address where RTCS can find it?

I notice in the httpsrv_frdmk64f example that not only is the ip address hard-coded to 192.168.1.202, but the MAC address is hard-coded to 00:00:5e:a8:01:ca - I could be wrong, but it seems like this would actually prevent someone from running two FRDM-K64F boards on the same subnet.

In particular, the ENET_get_mac_address() call in that example seems totally useless for production code. I'd love to see an example that shows the proper way to "get" a MAC address that is unique, from some sort of non-volatile storage that isn't part of the firmware image.

The examples do show how to use DHCP, which at least solves the problem of getting an ip address that will not conflict, but I don't think I've seen any examples of how to deal with the required unique MAC addresses for standard networking.

Thanks for any hints.

Outcomes