cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC8640D dual DRAM controllers

shirishhalingal
Contributor I

Hi,

I would like to know the advantages of dual dram controllers in MPC8640D, I need 1GB memory and can I use just one DRAM controller leaving other DRAM controller open or unconnected?.

Or what advantage I get if I use 512MB on each DRAM controllers making total 1GB memory.

Regards

Shirish

0 Kudos
1 Reply

r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have a great day,

* It is common having single and double channel DDR controller in the PC world. Corresponding performance difference has been considered and tested many times. Synthetic benchmarks can show 30% and even 80% differences between the different configurations, but some real-world testing show 3-5% gain. I.e. it is task depended. It is true for the MPC8640 with its 2 DDR controllers. For example moving data in memory by DMA may show 80% increasing of DDR bandwidth for 2 DDR controllers. So the system designer should estimate and decide if there is noticeable gain from doubled memory bus bandwidth for designed system.

There was preliminary version of  Freescale app. Note AN3431 “MPC8641D Memory Subsystem Performance Benchmarking and Platform Optimized Solutions” which required for  NDA. You may ask Freescale support for this document if it is still available.

** If the DDR memory consists of 2 physical parts it can be connected to the different chip selects of the same DDR controller and share the memory bus or can be connected to the different DDR controllers. In the last case we get fewer loads per signal line and may have better signal quality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos