Problem debugging with P&E Micro USB-ML-CFE cable

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem debugging with P&E Micro USB-ML-CFE cable

RichSMD
Contributor II

I have been using Codewarrior 6.4 (IDE version 5.7.0, build 2264) for over 5 years now with little problem for code development on a Coldfire ETX board.  This week it no longer will process breakpoints correctly.  It will stop execution at a breakpoint, but then when I try to single step execution the IDE displays low memory (address 00000000 with decoded assembler).  If I then try to resume nothing happens, and if I try to stop I get the message "PEMicroProtocolPlugin : Stop failed".

So far I have swapped the coldfire CPU board, swapped the P&E USB-ML-CFE Rev D cable, attempted to reinstall all P&E Drivers, run the P&E driver test application (that passes OK) and finally I uninstalled CodeWarrior and the P&E drivers and reinstalled everything again.  I still can't debug.  I believe the licensing is OK because I can compile the largish C++ code without errors.  I reverted to an earlier project, in case something weird happened to the project, but it is behaving the same way.

It seems like this is a P&E problem.  I tried installing the latest driver (V11), but it failed to install on my Dell Precision M65 Windows XP Professional (service pack 3) notebook.  I have the V9 driver (the one I have been using for years now) installed.

Can anyone offer any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?  This is especially frustrating because two weeks ago it was all working just fine with all the same hardware and software!

Labels (1)
2 Replies

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Richard,

CW for Coldfire V6.4 is an old version released in 2007.

This tool is using the USB-ML-CFE P&E interface.

unfortunately I don't have this interface on my side.

A good way to test it is to create an example via the project wizard File + New.

This example will include all configurations to use the P&E interface.

By this way you can check if there is a problem with your project.

If the example is not running, it could be:

- a driver problem,

- interface has been damaged.

To check these 2 options:

-> do you have another interfaces ?

-> can you check on another PC ?

According to P&E web sites the interface is not available anymore

P&E Microcomputer Systems - USB-ML-CFE (Discontinued) - USB BDM  Interface cable for the ColdFire V2...

For details please contact P&E directly.

P&E recommend to switch on Multilink Universal or Universal FX interfaces.

These devices are not compatible with the CodeWarrior version used.

BUT P&E developed a solution for old development tool.

Please have a look to:

P&E Microcomputer Systems

Hope this will help you

Have a great day,
Pascal
Freescale Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Richard,

please note that the CW version that you are using is really old and its been a while since Freescale does not support such old versions. However as you mentioned the problem seems to be on the debugger. You may contact P&E Micro at www.pemicro.com/support

Best regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos