Custom mkw21d512 board not programming

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom mkw21d512 board not programming

area
Contributor I

I am getting the "Kinetis (connect): Timeout while unsecuring device. Erase never starts; Kinetis (connect): Failed to unsecure the Kinetis device." error when I try to program my chip.  Ironically, this is a re-spin of a board to fix the RF power domain issue I had (one VERY small edit to the PCB) and the old version just fired up and programmed with no issues.  Looking at the signals all of them look right except the resetb which never goes high.  With the board plugged into the jlink, the orange LED only lights when I power my board.  There is no short to ground (or adjacent pins) on resetb.  A pullup resistor (10k) makes no difference.  I can short the resetb line to V3 and it moves up to that level freely (thus supporting no short to ground.)   

I have been through the archives and tried the jlink commander unlock kinetis command. No luck.  I have held reset low myself, started the command and released the line.  No luck.  I have RC slowed the resetb pin (10uF || 470R to GND).  No luck.  I have tried the jlink commander 'scripts' for the k20 and k60 that I have found.  No luck.  This is clearly an MCU issue (as evidenced by the resetb pulling low only when powered) but I am at a loss to get around it.

Any suggestions?

(schematic included for completeness)

pastedImage_0.png

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Adam Rea:

Can you show the connections to the JTAG pins? In particular the JTAG_TMS pin should have a pull-up resistor, as shown in this diagram:

pastedImage_0.png

Also, how is PTA4 wired? This is the NMI/EZP pin, which could cause this kind of problem if it is somehow grounded.

And finally, I see you tried a couple of things, but the recommended connection for the Reset_b pin is with a 10k pull-up and a 100 nF capacitor to ground.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos