cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between KDS with and without KSDK

dorianhildebran
Contributor I

Hello

i'm very new to the Kinetis and KDS, so please be patient with me. I installed the KDS and also the KSDK.

I made 2 different Projects, Project 1 with Kinetis SDK (1.2) and Project 2 without.

In the component library, most of the components are the in both Projectes the same or similar, with the difference that some names of the components form the KSDK start  with "fsl_".

What is the main difference between using the components from the KSDK versus using the "standard" Kinetis components form the KDS (or Codewarrior)?

Which sould i use?

Best regards

Dorian

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dorian Hildebrandt:

There are a couple discussions in the forum about this topic. See for example these:

Re: MQX vs MQX Lite?

Re: Kinetis SDK vs PEx vs MQX BSP

In short, the LDD Processor Expert components generate drivers for the used peripherals, while fsl_xxx components handle the initialization and configuration of KSDK static drivers, i.e. the driver is no longer generated by Processor Expert.

I recommend you to go with the new KSDK platform, as the latest and future enablement is targeted for KSDK usage. There are already many documents and guides for the use of KSDK:

Kinetis Software Development Kit

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

dorianhildebran
Contributor I

Hello Jorge

thank you very much for the answer and the helpful links.

Best regards

Dorian

0 Kudos