Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CodeWarrior IDE 11.1 Usage

Jump to solution
anandhakumarm
Contributor III

Hi All,

I want to know how to load RCW and u-boot to the target board (LS2085A QDS) in the empty NOR flash using IDE through CodeWarrior USB TAP device.. I have referred ARMv8 Targeting Manual (CWARMv8TM), I could not find any steps to do the same. Please help us if some one already worked in the device.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Anandha Kumar M,

There is description and steps about flash programmer in the targeting manual, in Chapter 7 Flash programmer. I do not know what's the verion of your doc, in my Rev. 04/2015 as attached , the flash programmer part exists.

Have a great day,
Lunmin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Anandha Kumar M,

There is description and steps about flash programmer in the targeting manual, in Chapter 7 Flash programmer. I do not know what's the verion of your doc, in my Rev. 04/2015 as attached , the flash programmer part exists.

Have a great day,
Lunmin

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
anandhakumarm
Contributor III

Hi Lunminliang,

Thanks for your reply.. we are also following the same document already.. we can able to flash the NOR by that steps. But that is not the bareboard scenario.

That will work only after the board get booted up but when tried the same in a bare board, we cannot able to do the same flash operation..For that only i need help..

0 Kudos
lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Anandha Kumar M,

For bare board, I think you could follow the guides provided by Marius above, have you tired it?

What's your problem when you said "we cannot able to do the same flash operation..."?

Regards

Lunmin

0 Kudos
anandhakumarm
Contributor III

Hello Lunmin,

I already have that document and did all those steps, that is working fine in a normal board..

But in the bareboard scenario... (ie) the board which is not having any PBL or uboot binary in it..

For that kind of board, we can't able to access flash memory of that board.. That is why I'm asking repeatedly how to program the bare board flash memory.. I want a solution for that.

Normally what Marius said is fine.. I want to flash the bare board NOR flash.. Bare board means the board which is fabricated from manufacturing which will not be having any valid PBL image or uboot binary image.. In order to flash that kind of bare boards only, JTAG is meant for. I think I'm clear with my requirement. If u have any suggestions, kindly share with me

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

For booting up, the processor needs a valid RCW - the default one is located in the NOR FLASH, but the NOR flash being empty the SoC will not boot up. That's why I suggested in the first post to switch to the hardcoded RCW via DIP SW settings and after that to use the flash programming from CW for ARMv8 (this will program the NOR flash via JTAG - cwtap probe).

Regards,

Marius

0 Kudos
anandhakumarm
Contributor III

Hi Marius,

Yeah u r correct, i also found that we can boot using the hardcoded rcw in the board.. that helps. but in bare board, hardcoded rcw option will be there ?

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The hardcoded RCW (enabled via DIP SW settings on the board) are used just for having a working SoC (you can connect or attach to it using a JTAG connection via CW for ARMv8). Please note that u-boot will not boot up using the hardcoded RCW.

The hardcoded RCW is used for bringing-up the board, write another RCW using flash programming and then switch back to the default DIP SW settings in order to be able to boot up the u-boot/linux.

Hope this helps,

Marius

0 Kudos
anandhakumarm
Contributor III

Hi Marius,

yeah this helps, thanks for ur reply,, my question finally is how to set a hardcoded rcw for a bare board ??? I mean how to program a hard coded rcw to the fresh fabricated board, is there any ways to program hard coded rcw to the board ?

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

From your post, I understand that you're not using a Freescale board, but a custom board - in this case please discuss with your hw design engineer to see if he allocated the DIP Switches on the board for making RCW hardcoded as for Freescale design board.

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos
lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Anandha Kumar M,

Sorry I can not understand. Could you describe specifically what's the problem you met? Or provide a snapshot of your failure?

I believe the steps Marius provided do not need any PBL image or uboot binary image. The flash programer in CodeWarrior IDE is designed for that purpose, for empty flash.

Regards

Lunmin

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Starting with the next GA release, we have simplified a lot the RCW override procedure for board recovery and all the details are included in the Targeting Manual. Unfortunately till then you'll need to make the next manually steps:

1. Set the DIP SW settings to RCW harcoded (SW3 + SW4 )+ SYSCLK 83.333Mhz (as forced by RCW HARDCODED) (SW7[1:3])  - take a look in the board manual

2. Using ccs from Common folder, disable rcw9 (bit HOLD_OFF). An example bellow:

config cc cwtap:10.232.136.60

ccs::config_server 0 1000

ccs::config_chain {ls2085a sap2}

disp ccs::read_reg 0 0x1008 4

rcw9=0x00000370   rcw10=0x00003201   rcw11=0x00000000   rcw12=0x00000000

ccs::write_reg 0 0x1008 0x170

disp ccs::read_reg 0 0x1008 4

rcw9=0x00000170   rcw10=0x00003201   rcw11=0x00000000   rcw12=0x00000000

ccs::config_template 0 0x1000 1

ccs::reset_to_debug

3. start to play with FP (for QDS need to disable the reset_to_debug from flash py script for using the same ccs already open). Details in the Targeting manual, my used fp commands for writing the RCW/pbl and u-boot are also bellow:

mon flash erase offset 0x0 size 188

mon flash write binary C:\flash_images\PBL_0x2a_0x41_1333.bin offset 0x0

mon flash erase offset 0x100000 size 535880

mon flash write binary C:\flash_images\u-boot-ls2085ardb_config-2015.01+git-r0.bin offset 0x100000

4. sw back the dip sw settings to defaults (for booting from NOR)

Regards,

Marius

0 Kudos