Is Freescale ever going to add 1588 timing support to MQX?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Freescale ever going to add 1588 timing support to MQX?

misterdiodes
Contributor I

I know Freecsale has some 1588 demo code for Kinetis K60/64 and I was able to run that successfully on my K60 tower system - but the limited demo code is from Ixaat.  They only want around $20~$30 grand to  supply some source code, plus they want a per-unit royalty, that doesn't seem to include support in MQX, etc.  Price seems to change every time we check on it.  It's not at all attractive.

Is there ever going to be real 1588 timing support in MQX stack as open-source code for Kinetis?  Or is it just going to fizzle out (which it seems to be heading that way?)

Or is there a newer update of MQX stack that I somehow missed?

I know there in Linux PTP, but that is going to be a real challenge to port into MQX.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies

wernerabt
Contributor I

Hello John,

there are several misunderstandings in your email:

- There is code completely integrated to the Kinetis platform using MQX 4.2. There is a demo library available distributed by NXP and if you want to use it in production you get the source code from HMS (former IXXAT).

- The prices you mentioned seem to be a mix of the pricing of the old license model and the new one. If you want to make us look bad, just go on. We still have a lot of happy customers - but this is not how people should talk to each other - this is also valid for the internet !

- If you want to use an open-source code, do it. But be aware, that those do not provide full support of 1588 features (even not the mandatory ones) and the engineering effort to do the porting is very fast much higher than our licensing costs. Our SW includes over 10 years of experience, plugfest testing, maintenance and bugfixing leveraging the feedback of our customers in various application fields.

Talk to us - we help you go to market

Werner Abt

Product manager for timing solutions @ HMS Technology Center Ravensburg GmbH

0 Kudos

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello John,

MQX 1588 library is an add-on software driver developed by IXXAT Inc.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?code=THIRDPARTY.

Unfortunately there is not available an open source code.

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

misterdiodes
Contributor I

I understand that Freescale has no 1588 solution in MQX, except for a time-limited demo.

My question is: Will there ever be "open" support for 1588 timing in MQX?   Is this on a road-map somewhere? 

0 Kudos

macl
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Sorry for not responding sooner.  No, we do not have an alternative 1588 solution on our roadmap at this time.

Thanks,

Mac

0 Kudos