cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Packet by UART on KEAZ64

Jump to solution
stevencornett
Contributor III

I am building an application that requires a response to commands be sent through a UART.  I am sending an 11 byte response string at 115200 baud, but it is taking twice as long to transmit than if it was send as one block.

I looked at the UART code, and it appears that the code is sending the data in the block one byte at a time.

Is there a way to pass the send the information in one packet so that we can get the transmission time to the proper period?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
stevencornett
Contributor III

When nothing intervenes between the characters, then the transfer time is reasonably close.

However, the library I was using incorporates a EnterCritical() function just before the transmission of each character.  That adds about 109 microseconds per character send; for 11 bytes that adds more than a millisecond to the transfer time.  Once I put the EnterCritical and ExitCritical functions outside of the loop, that fixed the problem.

TEK00009.png

I figured I should make mention of what the solution finally turned out to be.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Steven,

(1) Do you want a UART function that send numbers of bytes ?

If yes, which IDE do you use , if you use KDS, you can create e PE project , then utilize the function of

"LDD_TError AS1_SendBlock(LDD_TDeviceData *DeviceDataPtr, LDD_TData *BufferPtr, uint16_t Size)"

the "Size" is the number of bytes.

pastedImage_0.png

(2) "I looked at the UART code" , which code ?

Have a great day,

Alice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
stevencornett
Contributor III

I just noticed that you are using the Serial_LDD code package.  I derived my UART code from the AsynchroSerial package.

Is the SendBlock implementation going to be slower than the one derived from the Serial_LDD?  If so, would it then behoove me to refactor my top level to use routines derived from Serial_LDD?

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Steven,

(1) "AS1_SendBlock" and the "AS1_SendBlock" are the same .

(2)Sorry i can not know your problem clearly.  Could you pleas tell me how can i repeat your situation ? Especially repeat "resulting in a transfer time of 1.05ms instead of > 2ms?" thank !

About "have the effect of creating a delay between character writes" ,i have checked the code , there have not intended delay, the delay is the necessary configuration .

BR

Alice

0 Kudos
stevencornett
Contributor III

(2)Sorry i can not know your problem clearly.  Could you pleas tell me how can i repeat your situation ? Especially repeat "resulting in a transfer time of 1.05ms instead of > 2ms?" thank !

About "have the effect of creating a delay between character writes" ,i have checked the code , there have not intended delay, the delay is the necessary configuration .

Which code are you talking about?  Are you using an interrupt-based (non-blocking) TX and RX setup with the Serial_LDD routines?  I was using the AsynchroSerial library generated by Processor Expert.

Do you have sample code for the earlier, if you created it with Serial_LDD?

0 Kudos
stevencornett
Contributor III

Instead of using the SendBlock function in the Serial_LDD component, I loaded the AsynchroSerial UART component and used the UART_SendBlock routine from that component.

They may be the same in the prototype level, but the later calls the former.

0 Kudos
stevencornett
Contributor III

Here is a scope trace showing the issue.

tek0000_05Jun15.png

The bottom trace (Channel 2) is the packet put out on the UART TX line.  If the byte-to-byte spacing is the way it ought to be, it should take up a little more than one major division of the scope, or 1ms.  It's taking up two milliseconds, or two divisions.

When you run a packet through SendBlock in Serial_LDD, what are you seeing?

0 Kudos
stevencornett
Contributor III

When nothing intervenes between the characters, then the transfer time is reasonably close.

However, the library I was using incorporates a EnterCritical() function just before the transmission of each character.  That adds about 109 microseconds per character send; for 11 bytes that adds more than a millisecond to the transfer time.  Once I put the EnterCritical and ExitCritical functions outside of the loop, that fixed the problem.

TEK00009.png

I figured I should make mention of what the solution finally turned out to be.

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Steven,

The baud rate 115200 meaning UART can transmit 115200 bit every second .

And you can use the "  time / bits   " , the result is about 115200 .

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos
stevencornett
Contributor III

I am looking at the PE generated AsynchroSerial component for UART1.  It has a UART_SendBlock method that I called, where the SerialLdd1_SendBlock function is called, and it is sending only one bit at a time.

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Steven,

As we know, the UART Data register only have 8 bits, so it sending only one byte at a time .

pastedImage_0.png

BR

Alice

stevencornett
Contributor III

Does that mean that, for the KEA64, the functions to send and receive block data are really only capable of passing one character at a time?

In which case, the ReceiveBlock can only capture one byte at a time, and can only take 1U as the length parameter?  Is that the same for the SendBlock function as well?

0 Kudos
stevencornett
Contributor III

It sounds to me like I've made the wrong point. 

I understand that the routine will write to UART1 Data Register one byte at a time, but it's the transfer rate between writes that is the problem with the routine generated by PE in KDS.

It appears to have the effect of creating a delay between character writes such that the packet transfer time is twice as much as expected.  Is there example code that uses AS1_SendBlock such that the inter-character spacing is more normal (resulting in a transfer time of 1.05ms instead of > 2ms?

0 Kudos