T4240/T4160 Thermal Monitoring Unit De-Featured?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4240/T4160 Thermal Monitoring Unit De-Featured?

Jump to solution
anneweng
Contributor I

The T4240/T4160 has thermal diode pins TD1_ANODE, TD1_CATHODE, TD2_ANODE, and TD2_CATHODE. However, on the pinout list by bus table in the datasheet there is a footnote 24 by each of these pins that says Thermal Monitoring Unit is de-featured on this current silicon. Does this mean that these diode pins are essentially non-functioning currently? There doesn't seem to be anything that states exactly what the Thermal Monitoring Unit is -- whether it's an internal function or just the external pins. The datasheet even recommends using the ADT7481A as an external temperature monitor and references AN4787 Temperature Measurements Using an On-Die Thermal Diode. I feel like I'm getting mixed messages here since the de-featured footnote is referenced to the individual pins but the datasheet is recommending an external temperature monitor. If I hook these diodes up to an external temperature sensor like the ADT7481A, will it work?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have a great day,

I agree with you that note number 24 is confusing. The thermal diodes have nothing to do with the TMU and can be used with external monitoring chip like the ADT7481A. The TMU itself is de-featured on this current silicon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have a great day,

I agree with you that note number 24 is confusing. The thermal diodes have nothing to do with the TMU and can be used with external monitoring chip like the ADT7481A. The TMU itself is de-featured on this current silicon.

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos