cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup i.MX6 to capture BT1120 1080 on CSI and compress it using VPU encoder

isaacnickaein
Contributor III

Hi,

I looking for the configuration in which i.MX6 can capture a BT1120 1080i video on CSI parallel interface, compresses the video using VPU encoder and stream it over network.

The architecture will be :

===============      16bit data bus     =============

|             |  ====================>  |           |   H.264 stream

|    FPGA     |       pixel clock       |   i.MX6   |  ===============> { IP Network }

|             |  ====================>  |           |

===============                         =============

I have a few questions about this application:

1. Is the selected camera interface (BT1220 16bit in 1080i resolution) currently supported by the BSP kernel 3.10? How about the 20bit interface?
  2. How I can configure i.MX6 to perform on-the-fly compression of incoming video (without a high cpu usage)?
  3. Is there any any reference code/documentation on configuring the CSI to capture video in this format? There are several discussions on the Community, each one proposing some configurations, but they are not thorough and even conflicting.
  4. Is the on-the-fly compression supported for both 1080i and 1080p inputs? Besides CSI0_SENS_PRTCL, what should be altered to switch between these modes?
Labels (3)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Isaac

1.3. it is not supported, one can look at below link with suggested solutions and port them

to necessary kernel (verified on iMX53 for both BT1120 progressive and BT1120 interlaced input,

IPU setting is same for iMX53 and iMX6)

Re: Patch to support adv7180 TVin chip for Freescale Android R10.4 BSP on iMX53 -blog archive

2.4. if you mean video encoding, it is supported by VPU module, IPU can not perform similar

on-the-fly compression. VPU usage is described in documentation included in Doc package

L3.14.28_1.0.0_iMX6QDLS_BUNDLE

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

isaacnickaein
Contributor III

The provided patch at Re: Patch to support adv7180 TVin chip for Freescale Android R10.4 BSP on iMX53 -blog archive

seems to be for Android. Can it be applied to Kernel 3.10 BSP?

Is VPU compression supported for this input? (BT.1120 1920x1080 interlaced input on CSI Parallel)

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

suggest to look at presentation below for vpu capabilities

Q&A: MX6 VPU H.264 Dual Stream Encode Limits

0 Kudos