cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prerequisite projects not built on launch

paulderocco
Contributor III

KDS 3.0.0, K64 Processor Expert project

I have various "application" projects, all of which depend upon a couple of library projects, and since the latter are works in progress, the application projects specify them in the Project References page. When I do Project->Build Project (or click the hammer), it correctly builds those referenced projects first. However, when I do Run->Debug (or click the bug), with "Build (if required) before launching" checked in the Run/Debug Launching preferences, it only builds the top-level project, and pays no attention to the references. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere, or is this a KDS bug, or is this just another crappy Eclipse bug?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Paul

can you please specify what is "it only builds the top-level project, and pays no attention to the references" with screenshots?

thanks!

Have a great day,
Zhang Jun

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

paulderocco
Contributor III

I'm not sure what you want a screen shot of, or what it could possibly tell you.

Imagine I've got a library project called MYLIB and an executable project called MYAPP that uses MYLIB. In MYAPP's Project References page, I have MYLIB checked. When I select MYAPP, and click the hammer, it builds MYLIB first, then builds MYAPP. If I click the bug, it only builds MYAPP, so any changes made to MYLIB source don't get recompiled, and the final MYAPP executable has the old library code in it. Pretty simple. So to debug, I have to click the hammer and then the bug.

Of course, in the Debug perspective, there is no hammer button, so I have to go into the menu and do Project->Build Project first, and then click the bug to launch the program in the debugger. My reflex is just to click the bug, so often I forget. This is clearly not how it should work. If I click the bug, it should build MYLIB, build MYAPP, and then launch MYAPP.

I don't know if this is a bug specifically in the KDS IDE, or a general Eclipse bug, since I've never created and used my own library project in other Eclipse IDEs before.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I am afraid KDS doesn't have exact feature as you request.

user can group several project into one working set and build then together.

but no way to do the same with debug button.

as a suggestion,  you can summit a service request to request it as a feature request to CW support team.

can this help?

Have a great day,
Zhang Jun

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos