AnsweredAssumed Answered

Recommended project type for MK60DX256VLQ10 on Custom Design

Question asked by David Naviaux on Jun 11, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 by David Naviaux

Hello, I am very pleased with the depth of documentation that Freescale has produced.  However, I am new to programming the Kinetis microcontrollers and with what appears to be a great deal of flexibility, I am concerned that I may choose a platform (or project type) that will result in many wasted hours of effort.

I have a custom designed controller that will be used to control and monitor the operation of a grid-tied inverter (abbreviated GTI) that will be used for research.  The GTI uses the Kinetis MK60DX256VLQ10 microcontroller.  In this application, an Ethernet connection to the MCU will be used to allow configuring and monitoring the operation of the GTI.  I am using the following resources:

1. Ethernet

2. USB

2. CAN

3. UART

4. ADC

5. FlexBus (for FPGA I/O)

6. SDHC memory card

What I am concerned about mostly is the Ethernet, USB, and SDHC firmware. I am very experiences at "C" firmware development but have limited experience with Ethernet, USB, and SDHC and will be using whatever libraries are available to simplify the firmware development.

Since this firmware will need to be maintained by fellow graduate students, I plan on using the Freescale Kinetis Design Studio (with the MQX operating system) for the code development.  I have experimented with a simple project to blink an LED connected through an I/O pin on the MCU and have found that there appear to be many ways to accomplish the same functionality.

The first step will be for me to select a project type that will be best for my application.  As I understand it, here are the possible forms of projects (defined in on the "Rapid Application Development" page of the "New Kinetis Project" wizard:

Project types:

1. Kinetis SDK (none), Processor Expert not selected

2. Kinetis SDK (none), Processor Expert selected

3. Kinetis SDK (KSDK 1.2.0), Processor Expert not selected

4. Kinetis SDK (KSDK 1.2.0), Processor Expert selected

Here are my specific questions:

1. I have not found a good summary that describes project type recommendations; given the resources that I am using listed above, what would be the recommended project type?

Thank you for any help!

-Dave

Outcomes