cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application note for minimal KL03 (MKL03Z32VFG4) with ISP

carlostadeoorte
Contributor III

Hello dear Freescale community,

I am looking for an application note/document for a minimal KL03 connection with In-system programming ISP.  Ideally, I would like to program the micro with the Freedom-KL03z board, but I am open to buying a programmer if necessary (like the UMultilink, but not as expensive as the CycloneMAX). 

Looking at the FRDM-KL03 schematic, I was thinking on connecting an MKL03Z32VFG4 to, power/ground and a couple of capacitors neard the Vdd supply. Also, adding a 10k resistor between ground and RESET.  Then I'll also put an LED+resistor to one of the GPIOs to be able to "listen" to the micro controller.

For programming, I was thinking on putting the following signals to a header and use the FRDMKL03z to program: RESET, UART0_TX, UART0_RX, SWD_DIO, SWD_CLK.

I was wondering if any of you have any experience working with this and what are your thoughts?  Also, I am worried that if I use the FRDMKL03z board for programming there is no jumper to let the board to talk to my external microcontroller instead of the one provided.  Also, pointers to any documents would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

9 Replies

carlostadeoorte
Contributor III

As a follow-up, I found this thread:

Programmer Recommendation for Kinetis KL2

Basically they suggest to use the Umultilink, but I don't think KL03 is supported. The Dev board seems to be married to a particular serial number which might make it not work with an off-board component.  Can anybody confirm/deny this?

Cyclone MAX is way too expensive for me at this point. Are there any other suggestions to use as a programmer for the KL03? Has anybody played with KL03 and CooCox programmers?

Thank you!

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The FRDM-KL03Z board with OpenSDA on board, which also could provide a USB CDC virtual serial port.

As customer mentioned, just need to program the board.

Customer could refer <Kinetis L Peripheral Module Quick Reference> chapter 2.1.5.1 Debug interface about SWD debug interface design.

Customer also could refer FRDM-KL03Z board about it.

Customer can consider to use P&E USB Multilink universal or Segger J-Link tool, both supports SWD debug interface.

For KL03 provides Kinetis ROM Bootloader, customer also could consider to use ROM Bootloader via SPI/I2C/UART to load the firmware.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

carlostadeoorte
Contributor III

Thank you for the answer.  Obviously, out of all those options, my favorite one is to use the FRDKL03z.  By looking at the schematic, it seems  I need to unsolder R31.

That will disconnect the reset to the on-board target and then just use the jumpers to program an external device. We'll see how it goes.

I'll keep the community posted.

-Carlos

stevengarfinkel
Contributor III

Carlos, How did this work our for you?  I am about to try the same thing.

Thanks, Steve

0 Kudos

carlostadeoorte
Contributor III

Hello Steven,

It did _not_ work for me on the KL03z board.   I made it work more or less ok with the KL25 board. 

I spent a day trying to debug that and just got annoyed. Then I bought a universal multilink and it worked within 5 minutes.

Apparently Freedom boards don't quite honor their name :smileysilly: They are all tied to PeMicro secrets.

Good luck!

-Carlos

0 Kudos

stevengarfinkel
Contributor III

Thanks Carlos. I read the users guide to the KL03Z board. It says it

should work but you need to cut the trace between pin 1 and pin 2 of

J6. Did you try this?

I will let you know if I am successful but it will be awhile before I

have hardware.

Steven R. Garfinkel

ELECTRONICS DESIGN AND TECHNICAL ANALYSIS

sgarfinkel@Ellipsah.com <mailto:sgarfinkel@Ellipsah.com>

0 Kudos

lbf
Contributor I

Steven,

were you able to program the microcontroller using the Freedom-KL03z board?

I want to avoid buying the UMultilink (> 160€) while I check if the KL03 satisfies my requirements.

Greetings!

0 Kudos

andymurray
Contributor II

Laura, 

I was able to do it with the FRDM-KL03. I took some information from different webpages and did a short summary: 

"For this I need:

1. The OpenSDA Firmware with Bootloader.
  2. A 10pin ARM  Cortex JTAG SWD debug header to populate the one on the Freedom board.
  3. To cut J11 trace on the Freedom board to isolate the microcontroller from OpenSDA.
  4. A 10pin ARM Cortex JTAG SWD debug cable to connect the two boards."

From <https://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/04/21/using-the-freedom-board-as-jtag-programmer/>

I cut the the trace that connects pin 11 of the 74LVC125ADB with PTA0 of the microcontroller and with pin 1 of J6. The idea is that J6 isolates the microcontroller from the SWD_CLK signal, and use this CLK signal to program the other microcontroller. I have tested this using a second FRDM board, and an in-circuit programmer. 

Have in mind the FRDM-KL03 user manual which shows the ARM JTAG/SWD mini connector description: 

connenctor.png

These are other threads that can be useful: 

https://community.nxp.com/thread/308541

https://community.nxp.com/message/325654#325654

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos

carlostadeoorte
Contributor III

I did.

I think its possible, but it depends how much time you are willing to spend on it. I personally found it frustrating.  Some people suggest to put some small capacitance on the wires (10p or so).  My guess is that they found some noise. 

I tried to run the cables as parallel as possible to reduce noise, and I didn't see any noticeable noise on the oscilloscope, but who knows.  

Let me know if you can do it and I might go back to it.

-Carlos

0 Kudos