cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about the Vivante Tool Kit for GPU performance of i.MX6Quad

yuuki
Senior Contributor II

Dear all,

Besides benchmarking, currently we are doing deeper investigation for GPU performance when running our application.
Basically we want to know how our application utilize GPU when drawing into screen.

We use Vivante Tool Kit that is available on Freescale website.
We are able to get GPU profile data by using vProfiler, and use vAnalyzer to analyze it.
It is a per frame data that consist GPU cycles count, time, etc.

But we found some data are strange about GPU utilization result.
It seems that GPU idle cycles is always 0, which will impact to GPU utilization to become always 100% for every frame.

The same result is also acquired when we tried using another application with a simple interfaces that only shows buttons, texts and spinner.
GPU utilization is always 100%.

We found very little information on the internet about Vivante Tool Kit usage, so we can not decide if the data is valid or not.

Do you have any information about Vivante Tool Kit ? or have you ever been using this tool ?

Specially about "GPU Utilization is always 100%" matter, we want to know if the data is valid or not.

It will be very helpful if you can support us regarding this matter.

Best Regards,
Yuuki

Labels (2)
6 Replies

kannankathirvel
Contributor I

Hi.. I'm trying to use the vivante profiler drivers into kernel. Unfortunately, the kernel I'm using in my board (i.MX6Q+ on Boundary Devices Nirtrogen 6MAX) is not compatible with the profiler's .so files.

Is there any options or steps which you have followed in integrating the profiler option enabled drivers? I tried recompiling the kernel, it didnt help. 

if you can detail the steps followed, it will help me. 

0 Kudos

sylvainlehenaff
Contributor III

Hi,

Sorry for this late reply.....

The kernel I am using does integrate the Profiling part, therefore , I only have to activate it from the bootargs.

I am suprised that the recompilation of the kernel did not change something. The kernel I am using is 3.10.17 ; 3.10.51  and 3.14. I have recompiled the 3.10.17 kernel without any issue regarding the GPU Profiler.

Regards,

0 Kudos

sylvainlehenaff
Contributor III

hello Yuuki,

I am currently doing the same kind of work at the moment, and I also cannot understand some figure at the GPU level (GPU utilization fixed at 100%).

Do you have any feedback regarding this topic ?

In a more general aspect, I try to understand how the driver is working, but It is hard.

The refresh rate seems not consistant with the "graphical draw". It is like I am waiting/losing some time in the process, but i cannot identify where.

Any clue ?

Best regards,

Sylvain

0 Kudos

yuuki
Senior Contributor II

Dear all,

We want to monitor GPU load while our application runs.

Other than Vivante tool kit, is there the method to monitor GPU load?
Is there the free software?

If there is a good idea, please tell me

Best Regards,
Yuuki

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi yuuki,

Information about vprofiler and other VDKs tools are included in the latest BSP 3.14.28 as Graphic User guide document. specifically chapter 7.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos

yuuki
Senior Contributor II

Dear Bio-san,

Thank you for your support.

I referred to "i.MX_6_Graphics_User's_Guide.pdf" in "fsl-yocto-3.14.28-1.0.0".

However, I think that these contents are identical.

Would you tell me a tool( or an application) to monitor load of GPU, other than Vivante Tool Kit?

May I have advice?

Best Regards,

Yuuki

0 Kudos