Can download to KE02 using PE Microlink and SWD connector.  All connections look OK, what can cause this?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can download to KE02 using PE Microlink and SWD connector.  All connections look OK, what can cause this?

boblangellotti
Contributor I

We're having problems trying to download to the KE02 RAM.  WE can use the PE Microlink with the FRDM board, but it gives an error with our target board.  All SWD connections look OK, and we do not have anything else connected to the reset pin.  Adding a cap and pullup to the reset did not help.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Bob Langellotti,

I think you should check 2 points:

1 Did your Micro link support kineits?

Which PE microlink you are using? Please give us your microlink product picture.

You should make sure your debugger tool support kinetis at first.

2  Are you using the correct SWD port?

Check your PE microlink port, make sure the SWD port in your  microlink have the same wire sequence  with the FRDM-ke02 SWD port, and you cable is connected correctly.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please let us know.

Regards,

Jingjing

0 Kudos

boblangellotti
Contributor I

Hello

Thank you for your reply. We have been able to successfully use the PE Microlink on the FRDM-KE02740M board using the SWD port (of course we had to add the connector). As far as I can tell, we have the same connections for the SWD connector as is specified in Freescale’s document for the processor. Below is a snippet of the schematic:

As I mentioned, the sw engineer has not even gotten to where she would load the target’s code. This failure is happening during some file download to RAM. We did check the reset pin and do see a pull low at the beginning of the download, but no glitches (at least that we found) or other lows while it attempted to download. I might add that on one or two occasions it did seem like it was successful seemingly at random, but we have not been able to repeat it.

Any other help you can provide would be appreciated.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Bob Langellotti,

I check your schematic. You can use 5V vdd, that's ok.

Where is your PTB4 connecting? This pin is the NMI pin, this pin need external 4.7K to 10K pull up resistor. When your are downloading the code,  this pin should be high.

Please check this pin, try to add pullup and don't connect it with other device.

If still have problem, please let me know.

Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

boblangellotti
Contributor I

Hello Jingjing,

Thank you, this added pull-up resistor to PTB4 worked. We can now download to the processor. In our design we are intending to use PTB4 as an output to a peripheral driver which had an internal pull-down. Freescale should note this need in their datasheet. I reviewed It and can find no mention of needing to do this. PE MICRO as well made no mention of this when we contacted them.

Again,

Thanks

Bob Langellotti

Agilent Technologies

781-860-5455

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Bob Langellotti,

Internal pullup is weak, then an external 4.7K to 10K pullup is recommended.

Our KL quick reference manual mentioned this point, you can refer to this manual, chapter 3, the manual link is :

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/quick_ref_guide/KLQRUG.pdf?fasp=1&WT_TYPE=Users%20Guides&...

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bob,

Do you have a 10Kohm pull-up on the MCU Reset line?

The FRDM-KE02Z40M Freedom schematics have pull-up as well as a 0.1uF cap to ground.

On your device, is there any code in Flash?  I have seen issues with debugging code from SRAM if no code is in flash.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

boblangellotti
Contributor I

Hi

I tried a cap to ground with a 10K pull-up, no difference. In fact the freedom board schematic shows no pull-ups. I have scope’d all three signals, Reset, DIO, Clk, there are obvious signs of life on all three. Reset pulses low when the download begins and then stays high. We also tried slowing down the shift speed (or clk?) with no improvement. The only other difference is that on the freedom board the KE02 runs on 3.3V, on our board we are using 5V, but that is clearly OK based on the data sheet.

Thanks Bob

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bob,

I don't have the hardware to check it but may be somebody will provide you more details.

On the community I found interesting info too.

You can touch then via links:

KL0 SWD protocol      KL02Z SWD Comms

Problem programming and debugging after using SWD and CLK ports as GPIO MKE02Z64

Re: FRDM-KE02Z with an external SWD programmer/debugger

I recommend you to perform a search for KE02 SWD in community

Have a great day,
Pascal
Freescale Technical Support

0 Kudos