Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KL43Z IC getting very hot and fast

Jump to solution
thiagopalmieri
Contributor III

Hello,

I think I already know the answer, but maybe I can get a happy surprise if I ask here.

I have a FRDM-KL43Z board which was working perfectly until now.

Now, when I plug it into the USB (K20 openSDA and the direct KL43 USB connector as well) the KL43 IC gets very hot, very fast. The board, K20 openSDA interface is recognized and mounted correctly, however I am unable to upload any code to KL43, the screen below keep showing:

pastedImage_0.png

I was going to probe the board to check voltages and components, but it gets hot very fast so I cant keep it on for longer than a few seconds.

The last sketch I uploaded was a simple "HELLO WORLD" LPUART test (send it every second) using OSA/FREERTOS.

Simple questions:

Is it bricked :smileycry: ?

If not, what can I do to resurect it :smileyhappy: ?

if yes, do you think I can still use the openSDA interface as debugger for other boards ??

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Thiago,

I think the KL43 chip on FRDM-KL43 has broken down for unknown reason, you have to change another chip. You can order another FRDM-KL43 or request a KL43 sample from Freescale website and solder it yourself on the damaged board.

BR

XiangJun Rong

View solution in original post

2 Replies
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Thiago,

I think the KL43 chip on FRDM-KL43 has broken down for unknown reason, you have to change another chip. You can order another FRDM-KL43 or request a KL43 sample from Freescale website and solder it yourself on the damaged board.

BR

XiangJun Rong

thiagopalmieri
Contributor III

Yeah, I think that I will try your suggestion.

I have already removed the MKL43 and now I will test the whole board before soldering a new one.... Hopefully it will come back to life !

EDIT

Yeah, as expected, replaced the MCU and now it works again.... thanks !

0 Kudos